Author Topic: underbody protection  (Read 399 times)

Offline Fulvia-hf

underbody protection
« on: Friday,September 06, 2024, 09:13:32 AM »
My factory Yellow, later black and now BU40 Blue Bermuda Europa S1A will be driven over poor roads of which some are gravel roads. At the paintshop we decided that we would leave the floorsection and wheel bays bare to be later coated by me in anti gravel black. This to save costs as it was already the most expensive body work of all the cars I've ever restored in my life.
Now it is parked in my garage I find the idea of black wheel bays and floor less appealing and would like to have them painted in baby blue like the rest of the car. However with long sections of gravel road and quite often tall grass in between the two gravel tracks the sand blasting and brushing of the bodyshell would be threatening.
Is there an undercoating which can be painted over which will protect the fragile fibreglass as best as possible? I presume it should be a hard coating as opposed to a flexible rubber like material.
Any thoughts?

I also thought about lining the inner wings with a 20cm wide strip of the same material which is used in modern cars. Some kind of fabric or carpet I think.
« Last Edit: Friday,September 06, 2024, 09:15:35 AM by Fulvia-hf »

Offline Kendo

Re: underbody protection
« Reply #1 on: Friday,September 06, 2024, 11:00:03 AM »
A two km gravel road does sound painful. I would pick a flexible, rubber-like undercoating. That would absorb the impacts of gravel better. One person here has suggested truck bed liner paint, filtered to remove the grit suspended in it. That sounds like the best material to me. But I think it’s flexibility would make it not work to be painted over, unless you added a flexibility enhancer like they use on plastic bumpers. But still, I would think you would see the black showing through over time.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Friday,September 06, 2024, 01:51:32 PM »
There is tintable U-pol Raptor coating.  Retropower in the UK uses it quite a bit on their builds.  I've never used it, so can't comment on how well it stands up, but it's an option.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 06, 2024, 03:06:53 PM »
They have “undercoatings” that can be tinted or painted over.  Get it done.  Rocks thrown up from underneath can crack the fibreglass and show star shaped cracking in your exterior paint finish.

Offline Fulvia-hf

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,September 07, 2024, 12:30:14 AM »
I think a though coating like bed liner would be better than a flexible one. However a tough hard coating followed by a flexible one might be even better. I have send an email to U-pol to find out what they suggest is best. I'l report back!

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,September 07, 2024, 08:43:34 AM »
For once any added weight will actually lower the CG.

Offline berni29

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 12, 2024, 01:12:46 PM »
Hi

On my plus 2 I used Gravitex plus, inside and out.......

All the best

Berni
Also have some +2's

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 13, 2024, 09:29:40 AM »
Was it successful berni29?
From experience would you now recommend it?
Where exactly did you apply it when you say "inside and out" ?

Offline Kendo

« Reply #8 on: Friday,September 13, 2024, 11:22:06 AM »
Interesting product, and it can be painted. https://u-pol.com/en-ca/product/coatings-en-ca/specialty-coatings-en-ca/gravitex-plus-underbody-coating/

But they don't mention using it on fiberglass, only metals. Did it work out OK?

Offline Fulvia-hf

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,September 14, 2024, 08:36:12 AM »
This is what the U-pol help desk
came back with: https://u-pol.com/wp-content/uploads/RAPTOR-Tintable-Canada-ENG-1.pdf
I love the fact that it is over sprayable and that it is 2K which means more durable in my book.
Let's see if I can get it in Italy.

Offline berni29

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,September 14, 2024, 01:37:11 PM »
Hi Guys

I cannot remember exactly from my original research, but yes its good for fibreglass. Its not jet black, but has a slight grey to it (my eyes) but it gives a great finish. Note that it is designed for automotive underbody use, but is not 100% waterproof, ie not suitable for constant immersion in water without a top coat.

I had the interior stripped out and so painted the interior also as it also acts a sound deadener and smooths/ hides any nasty surfaces. I will try to get a pic.

All the best

Berni
Also have some +2's