Author Topic: FS: 1973 Europa Twin Cam Special - 4spd  (Read 449 times)

Offline kiwiokie

FS: 1973 Europa Twin Cam Special - 4spd
« on: Monday,July 22, 2024, 08:05:22 PM »
Hi folks, some of you may remember seeing Lilly for sale on Bring a Trailer last year.  She is a very nice example and I would like her to go to a good home.  You can find enough pictures to make you cross-eyed here -

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lotus-europa-twin-cam-special-8/

The restoration was started in 2001 by the previous owner and was completed in 2013.  He zeroed the odometer during restoration and covered 9,000 miles post restoration. I purchased in 2015.  The odometer now reads 9,961 miles.  All the hard work had been done prior to my purchase with maybe 20% remaining.  Mostly interior retrim, stereo install, touching up paintwork from reassembly, improving door fit and improving rocker trim fit.

Lilly bid to $23,924 on BaT.  At the time she was running a little rough and brakes were soft but I just didn’t have the time to address them.  I had taken a job out of town and my time was limited.  Both issues have now been resolved. Rough running turned out to be clearance on flexible intake manifold needing slight adjustment to remove air leaks.  Brakes turned out to be leaking rear cylinders. 

I enjoyed the support from the comments section on BaT and was surprised it didn’t sell as the reserve was quite a bit lower than recent sales of comparable cars.  Some did not like the non-stock aesthetics but in reality those are cheaper to change than getting another car into this standard of mechanical and cosmetic condition.  New black leatherette seat cushion covers and door inserts come with the car if someone wanted to go back to all black interior and the engine pieces in bronze could be repainted.  I probably would have agreed a deal with the highest bidder from BaT but did not have a good feeling about him.  He wanted to fly to Tulsa and drive the car 1,300 miles back to upstate New York.  That is more miles than I have put on the car in the 9 years I have owned it!

Here is a summary of the work done:
Body removed from chassis, chassis blasted and powder coated
Every nut and bolt, blasted and replated
Body repainted, bumpers stripped and rechromed and wheels refinished
Engine rebuilt to stock specs by CD’s Engine Service, upgraded Dave Bean water pump, radiator reconditioned, running VR1 oil
New muffler and headers installed
Gearbox rebuilt by University Motors, new clutch, new shift bushings
Carburetors rebuilt by Joe Curto, emissions equipment removed
Pertronix electronic distributor, lightweight high torque starter motor, alternator rebuilt
Tachometer modified to accept signal from electronic distributor
Steering rebuilt, new Koni shocks and new suspension bushings
New brake lines, new front rotors & pads, rear drums upgraded to Triumph GT6, brake proportioning valve installed, boosters removed (but have originals)
New mahogany dashboard and glovebox door
New carpets, new door seals, seats and door cards recovered, seatbelts rebuilt
New drivers side seat frame
Upgraded to Banks adjustable door hinges
Reconditioned Becker Europa stereo with Bluetooth upgrade and Boston Acoustics door speakers
Original tool kit, owners manual, service book, all receipts and tons of other literature go with the car

If you are interested in a turn-key Europa that will garner a crowd at every gas station and car event this could be your ticket! 

Drop me a note and let's see what we can work out.

Offline BDA

Re: FS: 1973 Europa Twin Cam Special - 4spd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,July 23, 2024, 07:08:59 AM »
Sorry you’re selling your baby, kiwiokie.  :(

I hope it goes to a good home, she’s a beauty (and the right color! ;) )!

Offline kiwiokie

Re: FS: 1973 Europa Twin Cam Special - 4spd
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,July 23, 2024, 08:47:42 AM »
Thanks BDA.  It will be sad to see her go but 900 miles in 9 years is pretty pitiful.  This car needs to be driven and enjoyed.