Author Topic: It's not easy being green - 1971 TC  (Read 12089 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: It's not easy being green - 1971 TC
« Reply #135 on: Monday,June 10, 2024, 10:33:54 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Now this post might seem like doom & gloom, but it's meant as a heads up about how imaginative these things can be where corrosion is concerned.

From the looks of that front crossmember you might be in for another unwelcome surprise because on my car, most of the real damage was in the rear section. I'd monitored the front crossmember when I drove it daily because, like the Elan design. that's where I expected most trouble but in the end I replaced metal at the back rather than the front.

Pictures tell it better than words....

#1, the upper section of the rear chassis leg, hidden under bodywork and only found when the body came off. Steel repair section welded in.
#2, same sort of area but under the battery, again the upper return section cut out & replaced together with the battery support section.
#3, the engine mount area in the vertical sections. This was the reason for lifting the body, I felt the handling was deteriorating and when I looked it was so bad that I suspected it was flexing when loaded on corners.  Big repair on both sides and I almost scrapped the chassis when I found the next one....
#4, Corrosion at the end of the central spine. Water had collected & rusted in the bottom of the "V" over a relatively small area but it's a small area which connects the spine to the rear sections and looks to me as critical.
#5, minor stuff like cracking at body mounting points. I've no idea how this came about because the metal was sound but I ended up grinding/welding and then welding a support washer underneath.

None of the above were difficult to fix, just cut out to sound metal and weld in steel repair panels. Steel was cheap and making the panels easy but it did take a lot of time to cut/prepare/weld & grind back afterwards making sure not to introduce distortion. Would I do it now ? No, I'd just throw cash at a new chassis and take advantage of the improvements in both corrosion resistance, stiffness  and suspension options that we've got these days.

I have no doubt Spyder/Banks would laugh at this sort of repair work but if you're paying labour rates it soon adds up if you end up replacing the front crossmember and a similar situation to mine at the rear.

Brian   
« Last Edit: Monday,June 10, 2024, 10:36:17 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #136 on: Monday,June 10, 2024, 11:23:30 PM »
I have only seen bad corrosion in the Y just below where the handbrake cables exit the main chassis, and where the closer plate attaches to the chassis to the 3 x 1/4"UNF nuts welded inside the front T.

Water does seem to lie in the Y, and cannot naturally drain out. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #137 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 08:08:10 AM »
EuropaTC, I'm surprised you had rust in the back of the frame because I thought the engine was designed to leak oil so that it covers the rear frame and keeps it from rusting!!  :FUNNY:

Offline 4129R

« Reply #138 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 08:47:30 AM »
EuropaTC, I'm surprised you had rust in the back of the frame because I thought the engine was designed to leak oil so that it covers the rear frame and keeps it from rusting!!  :FUNNY:

But it is only designed to spray engine oil when the engine is running.

Leaks from the gearbox are of no real conservation help, except to your driveway or garage floor.

If the car is not being used, eventually metal worm will eat into anything steel.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 08:59:04 AM »
I'll have you know the Lotus TC doesn't leak oil, it recycles it.

Oil originally comes out of the ground and my engine swirls it about the bearings for a bit and then returns it to source, dripping out slowly and distributing it on the ground for future generations to dig up......    the original eco-warrior recycling machine, Chapman was way ahead of his time.....

Offline BDA

« Reply #140 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 10:24:48 AM »
If the car is not being used, eventually metal worm will eat into anything steel.
That's funny but I think it also makes a serious point - that you do need to take the car out and get it hot (not just to replenish the oil on the frame  :) ) but to evaporate any condensation and keep things generally "loose."

...the original eco-warrior recycling machine, Chapman was way ahead of his time...
Chunky was always ahead of his time!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #141 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 10:50:24 AM »
Europa TC - I'm really surprised at the areas of corrosion on your chassis - mine was, fortunately it seems, concentrated on the front cross member, (see photo's of before and after). Spyder came to my rescue - I did not and do not have the skill set to achieve what you did. Well done.
In hindsight - and if I had had a money tree, I would have invested in a complete Spyder chassis - that would have given me the option of alternative rear suspension set ups and indeed gearboxes - but at the time I was half way through the eye watering costs of rebuilding the TC engine and I simply could not make the numbers work. (I still can't..... :))

Offline BDA

« Reply #142 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 11:11:02 AM »
That is very much like the Spyder frame I have (they either produced the more "standard" frame along with their tubular frame or it was before the tubular frame came out). I'm very happy with it. The better access to the steering u-joint is a huge advantage over the original!

Offline Cheguava

« Reply #143 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 02:44:31 PM »
Thanks Brian for the warning about the rear of the chassis - I'm fairly sanguine about the potential for a full replacement, it would be nice to just replace the front, but the marginal cost of a full chassis replacement isn't going to halt the project. So far, at the back of the chassis all I can see is surface rust, but once I have the body detached then I should have a better idea of the scope of the work needed. Keep chipping away at it when I get an hour or two free - tonight it was the nuts in the n/s rear wheel arch holding the seat belt brace plate that just refused all persuasion, gentle or otherwise. Two removed (in pieces) so far. Back at it tomorrow evening.

Jeff

*Update* - the remaining two nuts gave up only after the death of a thousand Dremel cuts, but at least they came off. Other than the seatbelt top mounts, and the steering column connection to the rack, that only leaves the main bolts to undo I think. And the doors, which I think will be best wrestled off while the shell is attached to the chassis. All the fun stuff to finish!  :))
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 12, 2024, 03:01:21 PM by Cheguava »

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday,June 12, 2024, 10:48:52 AM »
Quote from: Cheguava

What the previous post said - the car was originally green, but was repainted black as a fake Special. I'm restoring it to the original colour, which friends have unkindly (but accurately) referred to as Kermit green.

That seems to be a pretty popular color in the last 10 years.  We refer to it as "inchworm green" 😊

Offline Cheguava

« Reply #145 on: Wednesday,June 12, 2024, 03:07:05 PM »
Quote from: Cheguava

What the previous post said - the car was originally green, but was repainted black as a fake Special. I'm restoring it to the original colour, which friends have unkindly (but accurately) referred to as Kermit green.

That seems to be a pretty popular color in the last 10 years.  We refer to it as "inchworm green" 😊

Not so popular on this side of the pond, where a sludgy grey colour also known as "Mrs Hinch grey" has gripped all aspirational types who want their cars, walls, clothes, window frames, children etc grey. Makes it a real treat driving in England on dark winter days!

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday,June 12, 2024, 06:09:26 PM »
Grey has become very popular here too.  Most of the cars in the past 20 years haven't been too different.  Silver, "anthracite", white, ...  When they need a wash, they all look grey.  Now we have grey that seems to be gloss "grey primer."  Quite an exciting color!

The inchworm green is seen elsewhere.  Rarely cars.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday,June 12, 2024, 10:04:41 PM »
At the risk of thread drift....   Whilst this isn't the real pistachio green which was a solid bright green paint, metallic green colours have made a bit of a comeback on modern cars recently.

This shot is the the end of '22 when we picked up our Ford shopping trolley, a Fiesta in "Mean Green". Yep, it really is called "Mean Green" and I love it....  absolutely no problem finding it in a crowded car park.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #148 on: Thursday,June 13, 2024, 12:26:47 AM »
:I-agree:
It suits the car - I always think a cars shape dictates which colors it can wear. In my personal opinion all Europa's wear bright colors very well - and from a safety point of view I believe they should - they can be easily missed.  :(

Offline 4129R

« Reply #149 on: Thursday,June 13, 2024, 02:45:02 AM »
:I-agree:
 and from a safety point of view I believe they should - they can be easily missed.

My wife managed to hit my bright carnival red one in our driveway !!!