Author Topic: Strengthening the Y-Section of the Chassis  (Read 736 times)

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Strengthening the Y-Section of the Chassis
« on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 06:54:50 AM »
Hi guys,

I have already shown these pictures in the Lotus Europa Facebook group, but I'd like to show it here, as well.

Recently, I have just seen a cross member at the end of the chassis behind the engine of a Ginetta race car. That made my think: "Why does no Lotus Europa has a similar strengthening device at the rear end of the chassis?" A member of the facebook group reminded me that my gearbox is not stock and that most cars can't use a cross member in that position, because that's where their gearboxes are mounted. But eventhough, there are many 5 speed conversions out there. Or is the execution of my 395 tranmission mod so special?

What's important to know: My car is for racing purpose only. All suspension bushings are polyurethane or uniball and even engine and gearbox are mounted with PU bushings. That's why I guess, that my chassis has to go through a lot of flex, while being exposed to the cornering forces, coming from the 9 inch wide semi-slicks. In order to reduce that flex and to make it stiffer, I built the strengening device, which can be seen on the photos.

I hope, this will make the gear shift while cornering more reliable. Sometimes it used to be a problem to reach 2nd gear, while the car was exposed to cornering forces. In a straight line, it was always easy to get all the gears engaged.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Regards,
Stefan

Offline BDA

Re: Strengthening the Y-Section of the Chassis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 07:34:58 AM »
That’s a lot stiffer! I was looking for a way to get better triangulation but I didn’t see a good way and I suspect that what you have is plenty stiff enough for you. Good luck this season!

Offline gideon

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 08:15:39 AM »
Mecky- presumably your car has a roll cage?  You need torsional stiffness between the suspension mounting points for the 4 wheels.  The brace you added may help, but I don't think it's going to make a big difference to torsional stiffness.  I reckon the roll cage is the thing you can use to do that.  Can you extend the roll cage to support the rear arms of the frame? 

Or try fettling/adjusting the shift linkage some more.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »
In its present form the roll cage doesn't contribute a lot to the stiffness of the chassis. It's a banks cage, which has six mounting points. The most front two are near the foot space at the back bone. The middle two are slightly behind the seat positions, just after the Y-section starts to open up. Both are on floor level. The third pair comes from near the back window on top of the Y-section, just where the throat the Y-section reached its widest opening point.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
Have you considered a cage like that used in the Jensen Motors Europa (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/jensen.pdf)?

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 10:54:24 AM »
Yes, I have. When the regulations will require a new cage (e.g. bigger tube diameter), it will be one, which supports the chassis in a similar way to the Jensen recommendation. I'm in contact with a good company for custom-built roll cages. Back then, my only chance was the banks cage. Take it or leave it.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 12:09:40 PM »
Not my area of expertise and I will be curious to hear how it works out for you.  Europas do not have stiff chassis except if compared to MGBs, Spitfires, etc.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
I don't think it will make much difference. I cut the back of my frame off at the Y and square tubed a new frame. After the engine and trans went in, I put it on jack stands and used a dial indicator and jacked at different points and added a few extra pieces. My rear between the frame is triangulated and I still had some flex at the rear corners. Flex isn't the worst thing if you can swap springs, bars, and bump stops  :)

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 02:04:30 PM »
The original 289 Cobra frame flexed like mad and still handled well. Actually pretty fun once you knew the feel.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 02:55:24 PM »
In relation to your cage, it sounds as though you could add quite a few additional mounting points that would tie the cage into the chassis further - along with quite easily adding extra tubing that would link the front box into it.

Sounds as though you have the rear stays and floor hoops already (making 6 points), there was a cross brace that ran from left to right across the main hoop (meant to go across just above the tunnel) and you can tab off it and tie into the bulkhead body mounts that are on the top of the chassis at the start of the “V”(or put something a little more substantial for them to tie into there).

There is a petty bar that runs from the top of the main hoop (on your passenger side of the tunnel) and bolts into the inner seatbelt mount on the chassis at floor level (diagonally projecting down and forwards).

Assuming you have the roof bars that run over the doors and down the A pillars to the floor bars? If so, do you have the dash brace that runs across the car (steering column can mount to this to give you an idea of its height) - this can be tied into the body mounts on top of the tunnel in front of the gear stick.

You can also use the dash brace and forward legs of the bars that run over the doors to tie into the outer ends of the front box on the chassis (works Esprit cages did this) - added benefit is you gain an anti intrusion to the footwell should a front wheel be hit hard etc AND you can reduce flex where the front box joins the backbone….

Hope this helps with what you already have - pretty sure I’ve covered all of the mounts I have on my Banks cage… you could also put a cross between the two rear stays over the top of the engine (also done on the Works Esprit’s)
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 03:54:32 PM by JR73 »

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,April 05, 2022, 03:56:14 PM »
Hey Mecky,
You certainly have done a lot race prep to your car.  I think the real question is do you really need all that frame protruding past your last transmission cross member.  You already have a cross member from the shock mounts and a lower cross member on the transaxle.  I would say cut it all off back there like they did with Lotus 47 and save some weight.  Spoken from the cheap seats on the side lines.
Cheers,
Ross 
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2022, 01:46:28 AM »
In relation to your cage, it sounds as though you could add quite a few additional mounting points that would tie the cage into the chassis further - along with quite easily adding extra tubing that would link the front box into it.

Sounds as though you have the rear stays and floor hoops already (making 6 points), there was a cross brace that ran from left to right across the main hoop (meant to go across just above the tunnel) and you can tab off it and tie into the bulkhead body mounts that are on the top of the chassis at the start of the “V”(or put something a little more substantial for them to tie into there).

There is a petty bar that runs from the top of the main hoop (on your passenger side of the tunnel) and bolts into the inner seatbelt mount on the chassis at floor level (diagonally projecting down and forwards).

Assuming you have the roof bars that run over the doors and down the A pillars to the floor bars? If so, do you have the dash brace that runs across the car (steering column can mount to this to give you an idea of its height) - this can be tied into the body mounts on top of the tunnel in front of the gear stick.

You can also use the dash brace and forward legs of the bars that run over the doors to tie into the outer ends of the front box on the chassis (works Esprit cages did this) - added benefit is you gain an anti intrusion to the footwell should a front wheel be hit hard etc AND you can reduce flex where the front box joins the backbone….

Hope this helps with what you already have - pretty sure I’ve covered all of the mounts I have on my Banks cage… you could also put a cross between the two rear stays over the top of the engine (also done on the Works Esprit’s)

Hi JR,
my roll cage pretty much loks like the attached photo of a banks cage built up on a yard. The 2nd photo shows my actual main hoop installed inside the car.

I will try and run the exisiting roll cage as long as the FIA allows it, maybe with some minor modifications/additions. Your suggestions are right. There is a lot of room for improvement on my current roll cage situation. When the safety regulations will change, I'll go to a company, which builds customized roll cages with FIA certification. I will show them the best ideas of the Banks and Jensen cages and then I hope, that they will calculate and construct the best possible solution for safety and stiffness.

I hope, that the necessity to replace the roll cage will come in several years time and not too soon. This will be a quite costly thing. And if possible, I'd like to replace my original (and quite abused) chassis with a space frame from Spyder Cars or Banks. That's my dream, but it will take some years to reach it.

Before that, I'd like to do some actual racing and not only modifying the car. Since I re-started this racing project, it's been two years now. During that period, I just drove 2,5 hours and about 210 km on track. If this year works out as planned, I could add another 9 or 10 hours and 1000 - 1200 km of pure track driving between April and October 2022. That would be great.

Hey Mecky,
You certainly have done a lot race prep to your car.  I think the real question is do you really need all that frame protruding past your last transmission cross member.  You already have a cross member from the shock mounts and a lower cross member on the transaxle.  I would say cut it all off back there like they did with Lotus 47 and save some weight.  Spoken from the cheap seats on the side lines.
Cheers,
Ross

Hi Ross,
my car is in its present form somewhat around 50 kg shy of the minimum weight in my class. I had to bolt the difference as ballast (lead and steel plates) into the passenger foot area to the floor of the car. That's why 3 kg additional weight is no big deal for me. I can just take a little bit of the ballast out.

But what I noticed and what made me think about my above shown mod is the following: When I lift the car with a jack underneath the gearbox mounting cross member, the ends of the Y-section of the chassis spread by about 3 - 5 mm in comparison to when the car is stationary on its wheels. I guess, that the flex could be even higher under cornering load.

I hope that the additional cross member doesn't remove the sweet-tempered and predictable characteristics of the car's oversteer. :deadhorse:

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #12 on: Friday,April 29, 2022, 03:31:16 AM »
How is this project progressing?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #13 on: Saturday,April 30, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »
I had a fruitful test session at Circuit Zolder a week ago. I learned that I adjusted the brake bias wrong and that second gear is still not always at the same place :-D

Here is a short video showing both of the above mentioned aspects: the spin tells about the bad brake bias and after the spin, I was not able to find 2nd gear  :FUNNY: https://youtu.be/V-YlW0TTYUc

But I also learned that the braking itself is much better than before my rebuild and because of that I was able to set a personal best time of 1:59,1 min at Zolder. With a bit more practice, I hope to be able to be another second or two faster. But the video also shows a lot room for improvement. For example a gear box with changeable gear ratios and limited slip diff would gain me some seconds. I only use 3rd and 4th over the lap of Zolder.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,April 30, 2022, 05:48:49 PM »
I’m also thinking about custom ratios for my 395.  Move 2 and 3 further along and raise the final drive.  Not sure where to turn to get the work done.  Maybe just a whole new transaxle from Quaife.  Lots of $$ and fabrication though.