Author Topic: Dashboard  (Read 3120 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Dashboard
« on: Saturday,February 16, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
Because there's quite a bit of cross talk between this site and Yahoo, there's a discussion about dashboards going on over there for quite some time.  The issue is converting the scale drawing into a full scale paper template that some owners are wanting to do.

Because this board has the ability to accept stl files (and thank you for that), I just drew up a file for my latest project, which uses the radio opening.  That is the only accurate measured dimension on my file, but if it (the file) could be of any use to someone, let me know and I'll work on doing a proper job of it.

Why am I mentioning this?  STL files are able to be opened with a free 3D CAD program called "SketchUp"  Just Google the name and download the program. 

Once the program is opened and the stl file imported, you can take the file, break it down into sizes that fit your printing paper, print them out an paste them together.  You have your template.

You'll notice the drawing has a thickness of .420", which is the measured thickness of my dash.  If it's a problem, I'll modify the file so it's strictly a flat shape.  I may also be able to break it down into 8"x10" pieces.

Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline exarkun1178

Re: Dashboard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,February 16, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
I was the Originator of that post when i went looking for a digital file of the dash.

I was able to get autocad 2013 and between the file uploaded,  auto cad, and a group member i have an accurate cad file.

I am now searching for a metal shop to cut it out of 6061 Al.

Any suggestions for shops?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,February 16, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
What thickness of Al are you intending to use ?  If it's only a thin sheet that you'll support with a wooden backing then it should be possible to cut it out with hand shears yourself.

The picture below isn't a Europa but shows the Al dash construction I made a few years back when restoring a Marcos. It's more complex than the Europa dash (even the 47) but even so the main part holding the radio/switches/instruments was cut out of a single sheet of 2mm Al using hand shears, only the bottom lip was a separate piece welded in place underneath. (The inset picture shows the OEM one in 1mm steel, which had cracked)

1 & 2mm can be DIY, 3mm is still DIY but I'd use one of those "nibbler" type cutters rather than hand shears.

Brian

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,February 17, 2013, 04:42:29 AM »
i went out and bought a 3/8th Al as that was the thickness of the stock one.  didnt want ant fitment issues.

might have a problem with the sheers...

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,February 17, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
i went out and bought a 3/8th Al as that was the thickness of the stock one.  didnt want ant fitment issues.

time to start eating spinach then.....    :)

Brian

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Monday,February 18, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »
I was the Originator of that post when i went looking for a digital file of the dash.

I was able to get autocad 2013 and between the file uploaded,  auto cad, and a group member i have an accurate cad file.

I am now searching for a metal shop to cut it out of 6061 Al.

Any suggestions for shops?
I'm not sure where you are located, but here in Southern California I use a shop that hydro blast parts out for me. They can read AutoCad files. If your interested I can send you the information. See below some pictures of some pedal plates and engine mounts I had done for a Porsche 914.
« Last Edit: Monday,February 18, 2013, 04:53:10 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »
... here in Southern California I use a shop that hydro blast parts out for me. They can read AutoCad files.

I'm on the east coast and the machine shop that water jets my plate also uses dwg files.  When I asked the owner if he could use any other format, he answered in the negative.  Along with your answer, that's indicating to me, Acad may be the industry standard for all shops... ?
« Last Edit: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:08:03 PM by LeftAngle »
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.