Author Topic: RICHARD MANN'S CROSS FLOW RENAULT ENGINES  (Read 30396 times)

Offline Mid-EngineEnthusiast

Re: RICHARD MANN'S CROSS FLOW RENAULT ENGINES
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday,July 23, 2024, 08:40:56 PM »
Wondering why this thread has gone silent.  It certainly is interesting to read.

On the Pinto comment, I had a crated Ford factory racing block (that could be built as a 3.0 liter) that I acquired while working part-time for the local Ford Motorsports distributor.  My secretary wrecked my SVO Mustang before it could be built and installed, so it wound up going to some off-road racers (I believe their car was called Pinto Beans).  Not sure how this relates to a thread on modifying Renault alloy blocks.

I have a cross-flow head with dual Webers on my S2 Type 65.  Wondering what upgrades may be advisable.  Polishing and porting the cylinder head?  Different valves/springs?  Different camshaft profile? 

This is my first Lotus, so guidance on increasing power would be greatly appreciated.
Lotus: 1970 Europa S2 Type 65 (Cross-flow cylinder head, dual Weber DCOEs, header)
Other: 2009 BMW E92 M3, 2014 Porsche 981 S, 2023 Porsche 982 GT4

Offline fort

« Reply #31 on: Thursday,August 01, 2024, 02:07:37 AM »
Having fairly recently upgraded my TS engine, I think the head is pretty good although a little working is ok. More maybe by a good cam profile, 43mm inlets, HC pistons. Mine is still reaching peak power around 7000rpm
Fort

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #32 on: Monday,September 02, 2024, 11:12:36 PM »
Easy to go down the path for more HP, and surprisingly inexpensive for most items.
I just hope I have not gone too far with my build as it is intended for the street and maybe a hill climb or two.
Wossner forged 1595cc pistons, MAX Speeding rods, the mildest "CAT Cams" cam, and I really tricked out the head with help from Salv Sacco.
Reduced stem diameter valves and springs from a Ford reduced my valvtrain mass by almost 40%!
The common warning here is that these engines will spin far beyond "Safe" levels for crankshaft and valve-train life.
My valve train should be much improved, but the only way to a better crank is billet, $$$$!
The good news is that new crankshafts are still available, but how often do you want to rebuild your engine?