Author Topic: Custom Weber carb filter  (Read 1280 times)

Offline blasterdad

Custom Weber carb filter
« on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
When I tried to remove the air filter all the center bolt did was spin, ( and hard ). I thought great, this #@**!!% thing is stripped into the carb  :headbanger: . Well imagine my relief when the whole damn thing popped off. The only purpose of the bolt was to plug the hole. The whole thing was GLUED together & GLUED ON with gasket sealer. The bottom was made to fit with CARPET PADDING, a piece of tin can & what looks like plumbing strap. It amazes me this thing didn't catch on fire. I'd like to meet the person who made this so I could give him a free kick in the jimmy,  ;D .

I think this is Weber 32 DIR according to google images, (hav'nt  got any numbers off it yet ), & the thing with the wire hooked to it is loose.

Offline BDA

Re: Custom Weber carb filter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Those old Weber downdrafts were/are fitted on just about everything. I don't think they are the same model, but recently I've heard of a couple of people who have modified their twin cams to use down drafts. Many years ago, I had a BMW Bavaria that had two two-barrel Solex downdrafts. Although they were supposed to be able to be tuned properly, mine always ran really rich and put soot all over the back of the car. I replaced them with Weber downdrafts and the problem went away. They were used on old Ford 1600cc, 2000cc and 2300cc four bangers.

Yours looks like it need some TLC not to mention real parts instead of gasket goo and carpet padding! Good luck! I have heard of worse things from previous owners!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
 :)

Welcome to the world of "Basher 'n' Bodger", it sounds like you'll be using the phrase "DPO" a few times more !  It's amazing what some folks do to keep a car rolling along, and sadly, in my youth I was as guilty as anyone on that score but I don't think I've ever heard of using carpet as a make-up gasket. All I can say is that I hope it was a premium wool carpet and not some cheap tat he had lying around  ;)

On the plus side, just think how much better the car will run once you've sorted that little mess out ?  A bit of TLC and I bet you'll have it running like a sewing machine.

Brian

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 11:29:18 PM »
I think I can help with this
(I'm a carpet salesman :))
No, I have a similar carb- some Renaults were fitted with weber carbs of the 32 DARA, DIR
variety, Fuegos, 18, 17s, mine is a 32 DARA and it is difficult in the UK to find filters for them but ITG sell base plates,
part no 6JC20, the foam part is then fitted to the base. Try Demon, Merlin Motorsport or Europaspares (coincidence).
Haven't bought one yet, please confirm before buying, but that is what I have found.

Rgds Mark

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #4 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 03:44:49 AM »
Thanks guys, I plan on rebuilding this carb since it hasn't had fuel in it for 29 years... In case this carb is shot are there any other carbs you guys put on these engines ? ( 16 R ) Not looking to reinvent the wheel or get a performance gain, just something a little more up to date....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 05:48:03 AM »

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #6 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
32/36 DGV bolts right on and works 10,000% better than the original
Thanks jb, I will definitely go that route, I would have settled for 9,999.999% better !  ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Blasterdad, I wouldn't get too excited. I think JB is a little overly optimistic. I don't think you're going to get more than 9,999.998% improvement!

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #8 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Blasterdad, I wouldn't get too excited. I think JB is a little overly optimistic. I don't think you're going to get more than 9,999.998% improvement!

Considering she has hasn't been started in 29 years I'll settle on a backfire as improvement! Lol. ;D

Offline katanaman

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,August 30, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
  My Europa has the wrong engine in it.  But... I have acquired the correct one for it.  It has the Weber carb and manifold for it.  But... it is a DGV, alright, though not a 32/36 like the one in my MGB.  It is identical, although with throats necked down to 26/27. I haven't decided to do the correct engine (I suspect I will) but it is my understanding that we are supposed to use the 32/36 DGV "kits"  in the rebuilds.  I contacted one of the several eBay stores that handle Weber conversions and they said that they had never heard of the 26/27.  Yikes!  My friend has one in his Spitfire, too!  I cross-referenced the jets and found that they were nearly identical to the settings I use in my MGB. Either way, these guys also have the flat topped reuseable filters that clip together and will fit the DGV series.  They're great for laying tools and little parts on top while you're working away!