Author Topic: The garage so far...  (Read 1299 times)

Offline katanaman

The garage so far...
« on: Wednesday,August 06, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
  Once again I am having trouble shrinking the files to post...  This is how far things have gotten with the new garage.  I will leave for Bonneville Friday and hopefully I will be able to move in when I get back.  8 cars are going to attempt to best 400 mph. I hear...
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 07, 2014, 01:06:58 PM by LotusJoe »

Offline BDA

Re: The garage so far...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 06, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
I was just wondering how your new garage was coming. It looks like some nice progress has been made. Keep those updates and pictures coming!

Offline katanaman

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 26, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »
  Still not ready.  For those of us who knew, Bonneville was cancelled due to storm and rain damage.  The trip eventually became my friend and I driving to Casper, Wyoming.  In my Optima delivering 34 mpg.  I hope the Europa does that well.  I got back, and the garage wasn't finished.  Had to leave for another week to take care of my elderly parents.  Got back last night and it's still not done.  Of course the builder talks like I will be able to put stuff into it this weekend.  We'll see.  Winter is coming!  The neighbor bears have been walking off with the scraps to work on their cabins they hibernate in.  Probably will get 'em done before the garage...

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,August 26, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
I was just wondering about your garage when I saw your post. Hopefully you get move into it long before winter comes!

When my Europa had a TC engine, I got about 30 mpg on the highway going just about as fast as I wanted to go. I can't tell from your avatar, but it looks like you have an S2 in which case you could get better mileage than I did.

Just watch out for the bears!  :D

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 27, 2014, 04:40:01 AM »
After one year of working and having work done, on the new to me but older house.............

I am convinced that 50% of contractors and subs couldn't be truthful time wise, or even to show up when they say, IF you had a 686 S&W pressed against their temple, it wouldn't matter.

My personal favorite is "no show no call".............then there is the 50% that put in the extra effort and do what they say.  It's maddening

mike

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 27, 2014, 05:38:17 AM »
I hear you. Some friends contracted their house and they said the stories they heard (when they heard them) were amazing. You would think those guys work construction as a hobby and they're independently wealthy!

Offline katanaman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,August 27, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »
  Today the apron didn't get poured.  I am so anxious to get going.  If the electrician gets his act going, I will move in as there will be nothing threatening the cars after he's done.  I am not interested in going in and out for a while, so I will move in.  So far a fiberglass hardtop for my MGB and a Lotus and a MG flag are in the garage.  Pics Friday I hope -- I will buy paint tomorrow after my stint volunteering and begin the painting while I lay low for the big holiday!  Incidently, the bears haven't been around for a while, so apparently they have enough going on in "Sherwood Forest" just 4 blocks north that they don't need to risk going through the neighborhoods.  On my trip, I saw a new animal:  doing about 75 westbound out of Yellowstone, I "encountered" 2 mountain sheep in the end of a blind sweeper.  I just must have a way with animals...

Offline 3929R

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
I am most jealous of your garage! I don't even have off street parking at my house. My truck, bike, Europa, and small sailboat are all stored elsewhere.  :(

I'm about an hour and a half east of Bonneville. We've had 3 time as much rain and been about 4 degrees cooler than average. No surprise the salt pan was wet, bummer.

As for contractors, I am most amazed by the ones that show up, work an hour, then say see you tomorrow. An hour of driving in a big truck for an hour of work, just so they can say they showed up?????
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »
There's a concrete contractor here in NC who's supposed to be good. His radio commercials would state that "we are mobile and come where our customers need us". I would be comforted by that because I would hate to have to pick up my driveway from his shop and bring it to my house!

Maybe he can help you?  ;D