Author Topic: My car goes on Bat tomorrow  (Read 510 times)

Offline rjbaren

My car goes on Bat tomorrow
« on: Thursday,August 22, 2024, 08:01:15 PM »
Hey guys, my car starts on BaT tomorrow at 1:15 Pacific time tomorrow.  It is a 73 TCS 5 speed with original paint, and mostly original interior, and nearly everything mechanical has been rebuilt.  The two biggest highlights may be the hydraulic clutch and the Mikuni carbs.

Thank you, guys, for all your help answering all my insipid questions.  I think I put together a pretty nice car.     

Offline BDA

Re: My car goes on Bat tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 22, 2024, 08:06:24 PM »
I’m sorry you and your car will be leaving us! Good luck with your auction!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Friday,August 23, 2024, 09:15:46 AM »
Sorry to hear you are leaving the fold, but good luck with the sale. It's a nice looking Europa.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,August 24, 2024, 04:38:34 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  This forum has a wealth of knowledge and some really great folks that share it.  Thank you all for your help.  If the car doesn't sell, I'll still be here with questions.

Offline DAllen

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,August 24, 2024, 05:05:31 AM »
I was considering dropping BDA a question about the Mikuni carbs vs. twin side-draft Webbers.  rjbaren gave me the answer on BaT.  Also, I've learned of a few more suppliers & services in northern Illinois thanks to rjbaren  Northshore Sportscars in Libertyville Illinois pulled the Stromberg head for me and shipped it off to an individual in Montana who converted it to Webbers.   
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 24, 2024, 05:13:26 AM by DAllen »

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,August 24, 2024, 05:46:00 AM »
I’m glad rjbaren answered your Mikuni/Weber question because almost no matter what it was, I would probably not be able to answer it! :(

With a lot of fooling around over a long period, I’ve gotten my Webers to behave themselves but I’m under no illusion that they couldn’t be better. I used to say I am nobody’s carb tuner but unfortunately, that’s not true because I’m mine!  ;D

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,August 24, 2024, 06:57:50 AM »
I’m glad rjbaren answered your Mikuni/Weber question because almost no matter what it was, I would probably not be able to answer it! :(

With a lot of fooling around over a long period, I’ve gotten my Webers to behave themselves but I’m under no illusion that they couldn’t be better. I used to say I am nobody’s carb tuner but unfortunately, that’s not true because I’m mine!  ;D

RJ, I'm sorry to see your listing. I saw the listing this morning, Beautiful Car.
 As BDA said , I couldn't answer either. However, I do enjoy the conversations on the TC's, so keep in touch by helping others.
 Dakazman

Offline Gary_t

« Reply #7 on: Monday,August 26, 2024, 12:15:51 PM »
I was considering dropping BDA a question about the Mikuni carbs vs. twin side-draft Webbers.  rjbaren gave me the answer on BaT.  Also, I've learned of a few more suppliers & services in northern Illinois thanks to rjbaren  Northshore Sportscars in Libertyville Illinois pulled the Stromberg head for me and shipped it off to an individual in Montana who converted it to Webbers.   

Mind sharing who in Montana converted your stromberg head (plus ballpark cost, timeline, ease of transaction)? I'm just north of there, and have a stromberg head currently gathering dust.

Thanks,
Gary

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #8 on: Monday,August 26, 2024, 01:35:42 PM »
and shipped it off to an individual in Montana who converted it to Webbers.   

Mind sharing who in Montana converted your stromberg head (plus ballpark cost, timeline, ease of transaction)? I'm just north of there, and have a stromberg head currently gathering dust.

Thanks,
Gary

Omnitech?
« Last Edit: Monday,August 26, 2024, 01:42:24 PM by 4129R »

Offline Gary_t

« Reply #9 on: Monday,August 26, 2024, 01:47:43 PM »
I've heard of Omni-tech (google didn't find much for 'Omicron twincam weber conversion') before - they are in Washington, not Montana.

https://omnitech-engineering.com/category/automobile/photos-engine-development/photos-stromberg-weber

Offline DAllen

« Reply #10 on: Monday,August 26, 2024, 05:57:14 PM »
No idea, Gary.  Contact Northshore Sportscar in Libertyville Illinois.  Maybe they will help you out.

Offline Gary_t

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2024, 08:43:08 AM »
Northshore responded, and they did use Omnitech in Washington - which makes sense, well known for their weber conversions.

rjbaren - the auction appears to be going well, good comments, great responses from you - well done. Good luck, hope it ends well!

Gary

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2024, 08:49:04 AM »
I saw Keith, the mechanic from Northshore Sportscars at a car show and he mentioned having the head sent out for the weber conversion.  If you already have the Webers or Dellortos, then that would be the way to go.  If you don't already have either of those carbs, it is a lot less expensive to go with the Mikunis, they pretty much bolt right to the inlets on the Stromberg cylinder head.  Mine came with K&N air cleaners too.

Another person you could ask about who reworks the head for Webers, is Barry at PHP Racengines in Wauconda, IL.