Author Topic: Windshield/Windscreen Trim Installation  (Read 677 times)

Offline Footer

Re: Windshield/Windscreen Trim Installation
« Reply #15 on: Friday,August 30, 2024, 10:12:16 AM »
  The windscreen adhesive will hold the trim down. Clean off as much as you can so the trim lays as flat and low as possible. Lay the trim down and apply masking tape along both sides of the trim .
Apply some primer to both sides and let dry . Then apply a thin layer of the windscreen adhesive on the body and glass area .  Then with a mineral sprits soaked rag (s) clean of the excess. Then liberally use some tape across the trim or if possible some weight. It’s messy but it doesn’t dry that fast that you get flustered or go into a panic.
  The materials I used are listed or pictured here :
https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2058.2115
  I’m assuming it doesn’t leak and you can clean the loose gum off.
As 314159td points out.
  Dakazman

Thanks for this info Dakazman it is very helpful but I still have some questions.
The one picture you posted appears that you applied butyl tape along the inside edge of the windscreen, I’m assuming to bond the screen to the body.  After that you talk about masking the body and screen for sealant to bond the trim to them.  This makes sense to me so correct me if I’m wrong.  I looked through your post but could not find the sealant name you used.  If it was butyl in a tube, did it require a powered caulking gun to dispense? 
Thanks and your finished product looks terrific.

Offline gideon

« Reply #16 on: Friday,August 30, 2024, 01:49:54 PM »
I think the butyl sealant was used to hold the trim on the windscreen before bonding the screen to the car.  Dave mentions 3M 08682 primer, which would be used with a 3M urethane windscreen adhesive.

Offline Footer

« Reply #17 on: Friday,August 30, 2024, 03:12:02 PM »
Thanks Gideon, that’s the info I was looking for.  On mine, it appears that the same material was used for both as it is spread all over everything.  I’ve scrapped  enough  of it off that allowed me to get the two pieces back in place and I used butyl tape for that.  In the fall I intend to get all of it off and use the urethane adhesive to glue it in.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #18 on: Friday,August 30, 2024, 03:12:36 PM »
  Footer, I did multiple applications of the sealant, I used betaseal U-418 Urethane adhesive . I thought I posted a picture. Sorry about that. After the initial set I went back with a pressurized water hose around the windscreen to find any small leak. On aircraft we would pressurize the entire aircraft, Fat chance of doing that.  :FUNNY: then I went around the door glass and did the same thing, blew dry with compressed air the areas before another application.
  The butyl only holds the trim to the windscreen inside the channel, not around the entire windscreen. If you did run a bead of the butyl ,it will not leak into cabin. run another application around the point of water entry. clean up with mineral spirts and do it again.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,August 30, 2024, 03:20:49 PM by dakazman »

Offline Footer

« Reply #19 on: Friday,August 30, 2024, 03:25:11 PM »
Thanks Dman, that helps me a lot.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #20 on: Friday,August 30, 2024, 03:38:56 PM »
  I even reapplied the sealant under the plastic to hold it down better. If the window is in, find the leaks,and only and fix them, don't rip out what you have.
 Dakazman

Offline gideon

« Reply #21 on: Monday,September 02, 2024, 11:16:50 AM »
If the window is in, find the leaks,and only and fix them, don't rip out what you have.

I disagree.  If the windscreen has never been removed and is only held in with the original butyl then a small front end collision could pop it out.  Do you want to take that chance?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #22 on: Monday,September 02, 2024, 02:48:28 PM »
TIn the fall I intend to get all of it off and use the urethane adhesive to glue it in.
  Sorry Gideon,
 Footer said he was going to do it over again in the fall, so I assumed its for only a few weeks since he lives in Michigan . 
  My Fall is maybe in February.

I would in this case take out the window, and order the trim and supplies needed.
 dakazman