Author Topic: Dilkris Update - Rolling On her Wheels  (Read 676 times)

Offline Dilkris

Dilkris Update - Rolling On her Wheels
« on: Monday,August 19, 2024, 07:41:19 AM »
Thought I'd post here an update on where my 73 TCS is, No:2227P.
It has taken 4 years to get here and from those who remember my posts will recall that she came into my life as a pile of pieces over 20 years ago. Pictures are better than words so please find the below:-
I have posted previously under "Dilkris Update - Back at it" in the "Garage Section" where I wrote a brief account of engine starting followed by carb balancing.
It was strangely satisfying and hugely uplifting just pushing her out of the workshop and onto the lawn.
Note the temporary fuel tank and "Heath Robinson" closed loop cooling pipes allows me to periodically run the engine up to the point of 5 minutes past the thermostat opening, a total of approximately 15 minutes.
This part part of the project I now consider 95% complete - I am now moving onto the body where for continuity I will be posting under "Dilkris Bodywork 2227P" in the Garage Section.

Offline BDA

Re: Dilkris Update - Rolling On her Wheels
« Reply #1 on: Monday,August 19, 2024, 09:19:00 AM »
Congratulations!!  :beerchug:  :pirate:

Nicely and cleverly done! I see you have adjustable upper front A-arms... nice! You'll be able to adjust camber and caster!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 19, 2024, 09:24:16 AM »
Thankyou - the chassis was a "Spyder overhaul" comprising a new front section - original radius arms had been severely abused so went for the Spyder replacements -  camber was easy to measure and achieve - caster..... er ..... not so much.  ;D   

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 19, 2024, 10:35:49 AM »
My Lola race care had a clever way of allow adjustment of the rod ends on the upper front suspension that didn't require taking the rod end off the pivot point. I don't remember how that worked any more - I may have never really understood it! But that's just a "what might have been" thing because you obviously and sadly don't have it!

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 19, 2024, 12:23:26 PM »
It looks really good.  I like the improvised radiator bypass.  I might borrow that idea.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #5 on: Monday,August 19, 2024, 01:57:17 PM »
 :pirate: :pirate:
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2024, 03:06:47 PM »
  Dilkris ,
    I'm not a TC guy... YET.  Or a Spyder guy yet, but I admire your craftsmanship. I'm a little like BDA with the," what might have been".
      I assume the capped hydraulic lines are for the clutch? I'll keep watching and learning.
  Dakazman

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 29, 2024, 04:43:10 AM »
  Dilkris ,
    I'm not a TC guy... YET.  Or a Spyder guy yet, but I admire your craftsmanship. I'm a little like BDA with the," what might have been".
      I assume the capped hydraulic lines are for the clutch? I'll keep watching and learning.
  Dakazman

Thankyou for your kind comments - the capped brake lines are the flow and return to the brake booster which on the TC is mounted to the "inner wing" within the engine compartment. Some members have moved this unit to the front of the car - I am opting to rebuild "as was" as much as possible. 

Offline Triton

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,August 31, 2024, 02:57:30 PM »
Well done,,Looking really well.  Is that the standard alternator pulley that you have drilled to lighten. I had been thinking of doing the same with mine,  can you tell me what size holes have you put in.  Thanks  Stuart..

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,August 31, 2024, 11:45:58 PM »
Is that the standard alternator pulley that you have drilled to lighten - can you tell me what size holes have you put in.  Thanks  Stuart..

Yes it is the standard pulley - holes are 32mm Dia. (or 1/1/4" in imperial) 

Offline Kendo

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,September 01, 2024, 07:45:06 AM »
Yes it is the standard pulley - holes are 32mm Dia. (or 1/1/4" in imperial)

How much weight did it save? That looks like a mod I could do, and much cheaper than those very nice pulleys RDEnt sells.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,September 01, 2024, 11:44:11 AM »
How much weight did it save? That looks like a mod I could do, and much cheaper than those very nice pulleys RDEnt sells.

To be honest I have no idea - probably a negligible amount.  :)
I did it for the aesthetic effect really - I thought the original plain pulley was just "dull" and unexciting.
I liked the look of the aluminum units which are available but did not like their cost - so I really just copied one of those.