Author Topic: Spring replacement on AVO Dampers  (Read 407 times)

Offline HoraceM22

Spring replacement on AVO Dampers
« on: Saturday,August 10, 2024, 02:00:37 PM »
Is it better to remove the whole damper on my TCS or can I change the spring in situ?
HoraceM22

Offline BDA

Re: Spring replacement on AVO Dampers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,August 10, 2024, 07:33:28 PM »
There should be a spring collar on the top of the shock so theoretically you could disconnect the top of the shock, compress the spring enough to get the top collar off and then take the spring off. I've never done that so I'm not sure how practical that is. Otherwise, you'll have to take the shock off first. If you're looking at the rears, they are pretty simple. The fronts are a bit more of a pain as you'll need to drive the upper suspension pivot pin out into the car.

You will definitely need a spring compressor for the fronts. They are easy to make yourself. Here are two simple designs (https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=5298.0).  You can also use spring compressors for motorcycles like this one on ebay here (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232076668504). You probably won't need a spring compressor for the rear shocks. You cannot use a spring compressor for a McPherson strut.

Presumably, your AVOs have adjustable spring perches. You should get the proper wrenches for your spring collars so you can set your ride heights where you want.

Good luck!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 11, 2024, 04:01:08 PM »
Remove the spring/shock unit first, then disassemble.  You'll need a spring compressor of some sort.

Offline HoraceM22

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 12, 2024, 11:14:05 PM »
Of course, removing the broken spring (to get the part number, engraved on the top) is not as tricky as I thought. Whilst trying to find / buy / borrow or hire a suitable spring compressor, it came to me that I could just cut the old ones in half with the trusty angle grinder, ding! job done. this allows me to get new ones ordered and more time to find a compressor.
HoraceM22

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 12, 2024, 11:57:19 PM »
For the spring compressor, you're looking for something with relatively thin arms. Some of the DIY versions are thick & too chunky to fit - my Draper set for example.

I've heard folks using motorcyle compressors as they tend to be thinner and I've also seen folks using 2 or 3 ratchet straps.  (Just don't use cable ties !)