Author Topic: Ongoing Restorations  (Read 687 times)

Offline BDA

Ongoing Restorations
« on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 10:30:03 AM »
Every once in a while, I like to list the active restorations going on on this forum. It seems there is at least a half dozen going on at any one time which seems like a pretty good number given the small production numbers and the number that by now must be beyond help. Here is my list. If I've missed anyone, please let me know! I don't want to slight anyone!! I think most of these are body-off restorations but in any case, please post where you are with your restoration and where you started.

Kendo - I think he's assembling a frame
Chequava - early days. About to get the body off
kram350kram - V8 monster Europa
314159td - rebuilding an S1
Elanman39 - more than half finished with an S2 restoration I'm guessing
TurboForce - mini monster turbo TC
Serge - busiy with family and new house if I remember but he claims he will be starting again when he gets his shop in order
Richard48Y - last I remember, he was up to his elbows in Renault engine build and buying machine tools
Chuck Nukem - seems to be busy forming him into the next Richard Winter with custom parts. I haven't heard much about his Europas lately
cannonsami - last I heard he was almost finishing up on his TC project and selling extra parts

I ought to mention that dakazman has taken his first drive so he's fallen off the list. I believe that 4129R has finished the last of his (it was six wasn't it?). I think someone else recently finished his car but I can't find it now.

If I've missed somebody who is starting or in the middle of a restoration or if you've recently finished yours, please let us know!!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 10:34:12 AM by BDA »

Offline Kendo

Re: Ongoing Restorations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 10:46:12 AM »
I had my car’s frame replaced about 22 years ago by a Lotus mechanic. So my project is mostly stripping parts to repaint, doing body repairs and undoing sketchy mods, then a new interior and windshield. The car is currently at a paint shop.

Offline berni29

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 11:21:20 AM »
Hi,

Good idea for making a list!

Please add me, restoration thread is "Restoration of 3940R" and yes it will be a body off. The sooner the better. Just have to sell a Boxster and make some space.

All the best

Berni

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 11:22:12 AM »
I believe that 4129R has finished the last of his (it was six wasn't it?). I think someone else recently finished his car but I can't find it now.

I have 7. 3 black TCS, 2 blue TCS, a red TC and a yellow TCS.

One blue, the red and the yellow are being road tested, 2 black and the other blue are in the queue for road testing, and the 3rd black needs a Weber head and twin 40DCOEs.

The problem I find with road testing rebuilt cars is that everything that has not been renewed is 50+ years old, so likely to fail.

Plus if they are not used, things stop working due to water.

At present 3089R is nearing full completion during road testing, the list is getting shorter, but today's problem is black plugs on 2,3 & 4, and a misfire over about 4500 rpm.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 11:38:00 AM »
There's always something, eh 4129R!

Thanks for the updates Kendo and berni29!

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 12:37:52 PM »
There's always something, eh 4129R!

Thanks for the updates Kendo and berni29!

Do rolling renovations count?  LOL.  Restoration not in the cards for 3291R...too many folks who have seen her comment that 'it's only original once', and since most of the work that needs be done is under the skin...leaving the body as Hethel pushed it out the door and refreshing, as I can (now that I'm officially retired!) what needs be done mechanically.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 01:20:09 PM »
I'll leave that up to the individual. I don't want to muddy this up with a bunch of rules.

Mine's been on the road (on and off) for almost 25 years and I've recently considered that she's "finished" in that I my ratio of driving to wrenching is expected to be very large but that's not the first time I've thought that! After I started driving her to go somewhere, I considered her restoration complete but there were lots of rides to test or experiment with something after that. That sounds contradictory, I know. I suppose we all have our own definition "done" but I think we all also really know that they are never truly "done."  :)

Offline gideon

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 02:26:05 PM »
I'm in the middle of a body off restoration.  It had a slow start, went off on too many tangents and then stalled.  It's sobering to see that my first post was 6 years ago.  I am getting a bit more organized and fully expect to make some actual progress "real soon now".  Just don't hold your breath.

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 02:56:04 PM »
Hi -I usually just lurk here as I always have more questions than answers. 3348R is my second Europa, a 1973 TCS 4-speed. First Europa was a 1969 S2 54-1818 which I sold to buy a house. I've had 3348 for longer than I care to admit and only drove it two times before I decided to "restore" it. It ran OK but the brakes were really bad and it overheated quickly. It was represented as a California-only car with a "recently" rebuilt Twin-Cam (no receipts) and a poor black paint job over the original Lagoon Blue. Interior is black with minimal wear on seats/carpet. Dash is OK and it seems to have everything in place (including the ash tray). Lots of time and effort at getting it registered (a long story) but now has a new CA license plate and registration.

About 10years ago I met Joji Tokumoto, through Whit Davis, as he lives about 90 minutes from me. Joji has been a goldmine of information and has helped and encouraged me. Current status of project is as follows: Engine/Trans removed for evaluation/repair by Frank Monise Jr (Lotus 23 guru), Front suspension arms cleaned/painted, new front Spax shocks, new front springs, fabricated adjustable front sway bar mounts, new radiator, new coolant transfer piping, new coolant hoses, general clean-up of front compartment, new shifter bearing assy, new shifter bushings, new rear Spax shocks, new rear springs, removed boosters and PDWV, currently fabricating new brake lines, have rebuilt S2 Master Cylinder, new rear brake cylinders, speedbleeders all four corners, new front brake pads, new rear brake shoes, 5 new Kumho Solus tires (175/70, 185/70), stripped refinished 5 original Lotus alloys, acquired (4) 5 1/2 x 13 Revolution alloys, removed/refinished fuel tanks and had interior coated.

Short term plans: Work with engine builder on what needs to be replaced/repaired (budget $6000). Objective is reliable engine, mostly stock. Engine turned freely when removed and "looked" in good condition. Finish brake line fabrication, test/install S2 Master Cylinder and test brake system. Reinstall shifter assy after installing new bushing/bearings (prior to engine install). Test electrical items for correct operation, troubleshoot electrical system, Test/install rebuilt engine.

Bodywork is about average for a 40+ yr old Europa, it has stress cracks and the paint is cracking in areas. Doing extensive prep work for paint is not high on my list and I don't think I want to pay $$ for someone else to do it. The seats have 2 small areas at the seams where they need repair. I can probably get that dome locally.

I just turned 75 and am finding a few more aches and pains everytime I work on the Lotus. I also have a 1997 Saleen Mustang that needs attention, but at least it still runs and looks good. I hope that I will get the Europa finished and running in the next year or two and at least be able to drive for a few more years before passing it along to someone else to take care of it.

This site has been of great value to me in answering questions and illustrating how to deal with the many little issues that come with owning a Europa.

Larry Mullen

Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 03:07:09 PM »
gideon and jlmullen2, stalled projects are unfortunately not a rare occurrence. It was over twenty years between the time I was involved in an accident and I finally "finished" my restoration. I regret it taking so long so I'd like to encourage you to accelerate your efforts so that you'll be able to enjoy your baby that much longer!

Let us know if there's anything we can to to help facilitate your progress!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 03:45:13 PM »
Dilkris (UK) -  Complete TCS restoration, 'Go Kart' 85% complete. Scheduled to start body in next 2 months
Cheguava (UK) - Rebuilding a TC - In the middle of complete disassembly. Posts regularly   

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 03:55:24 PM »
  BDA,
 HATS OFF TO YOU!
    This is by far the best thread we as BUILDERS can get kicked off of.

The members on the list have our support, and as a MAYBE  kicked off  I love it.
   We are here to support members to complete their build.  I have received that support here and will try, with my limited knowledge to help people with S2 Issues .
    Many thanks to the people who supported me , LitteryMadness, Pfreen, JB, turbo, certified, sandy, Texas( my wife interrupted) and many many more,  and of course BDA.
   BDA,  Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 04:22:32 PM »
Dilkris! I knew there someone I’d forgotten! My apologies and thanks for the updates!

D’man, thank you for your kind words. We all have our part to play…

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 04:48:00 PM »
I am restoring mine from more than frame up, also doing "Mechanical Refreshing" but not full restoration on a second car.
Paid $5,500 for mine on feeBay, with a Cross-Flow and Webers.
It was supposed to only need a little work, stored indoors. LOL!
Engine has been stalled waiting for the replacement cam gear center but it is on the way.
Body is the most difficult aspect of these cars, I still have to decide which of two to use.

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 06:35:07 PM »
I guess the seller was actually giving you the opportunity to make your car completely like you want it (by allowing you do a lot of things that should have been done when you bought it). Glad to hear you’ll soon be able to finish your engine, Richard!