Author Topic: Rear window trim  (Read 541 times)

Offline cannonsami

Rear window trim
« on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 11:06:56 AM »
In my 1973 TCS there was a flat black textured plastic trim surrounding the top half of the rear window that extended up to the roof, with a couple of slots cut in for ventilation. When I removed it, it pretty much exploded. I haven't seen much discussion of these, is there a source for them or will I need to make one? Additionally, is there a source for the front pillar trims, or will I need to build these as well? Thanks.

Offline Kendo

Re: Rear window trim
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »
You will have to make that plastic trim over the top of the window. Someone here might have a pattern to follow. If so, please post it.

For the front pillar trim, do you mean the A-pillars? IIRC they are just wrapped in vinyl upholstery material to match other interior bits.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 11:43:58 AM »
I don't dispute what Kendo says about the A-pillar trim but I looked it up and to my surprise, there are part numbers for them (A054B0361S and A054B0362S) so there might be a little more to them than I thought. I think you're probably on your own with them in any case. I had mine recovered by an interior shop so I never got a look at them but it did look like they just replaced the black vinyl that was there with a beige vinyl to match the rest of my interior. I think they were just glued on.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 11:54:55 AM »
The vinyl on my 1974 TCS were just wrapped and glued to the A-pillar. I pulled it off myself. Maybe they are a part number as a cut piece of vinyl? (Or some PO re-trimmed it and lost any underlying parts?) Now I have to look in the parts manual :)

Offline cannonsami

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 11:58:54 AM »
Thanks for the info! I'd definitely appreciate a pattern if someone has one, as well as a recommendation for what material to use. As far as the pillars, I know most europas are just wrapped in vinyl, but I've definitely seen some with some sort of form on top of the pillar that was then wrapped. Perhaps that was a custom touch. I'll probably just end up wrapping the pillars as well.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 06:03:37 PM »
I just did this and have a pattern. Doing the entire interior. Live in Kennesaw, Ga. so we are neighbors. Come and get it!

Offline cannonsami

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2023, 07:19:57 PM »
Well that's convenient! I'll send you a PM

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Friday,December 08, 2023, 03:04:25 AM »
My 72 TC rear window trim was made of fiberboard. Here is the link to the page where I made a new one (I had documented my complete restoration):

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1704.1305

I’m now living in Northern GA on Lake Nottely. If you guys from Kennesaw and Marietta ever do a road trip to the mountains you’re welcome to stop by.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #8 on: Friday,December 15, 2023, 07:26:49 AM »
Kram gets up that way now and then. Looking for property. I will look you up on the next trip.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,December 16, 2023, 05:24:08 AM »
Kram gets up that way now and then. Looking for property. I will look you up on the next trip.

Anytime. Especially when you get your V8 monster on the road. Would enjoy seeing it up close.