Author Topic: Lotus Engineering  (Read 453 times)

Offline Pfreen

Lotus Engineering
« on: Monday,May 08, 2023, 03:31:31 PM »
I have now used my retirement from engine engineering career to rebuild every component of a 1974 Lotus Europa Special and a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger mk1a.
I can say unequivocally that the Tiger is at least twice as difficult to work on the Lotus.  The foresight and engineering is way ahead for Lotus compared to the slightly older Tiger.  One of the difficulties we have is not comparing our old Lotus to today's cars.

So, when you are asses and elbows into your Lotus, just remember, it could be much worse🙂

Offline jbcollier

Re: Lotus Engineering
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 08, 2023, 04:03:23 PM »
Access was pretty good with the 4 cylinder.  The V-8 actually doesn't fit even though they got one in there ;-)

Offline cazman

« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 08, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »
I went from a 2000 MR2 to the Europa. Everything on the MR2 was hard, everything (except the rear hub bearings) on the Lotus has been fairly easy.
1973 Europa TCS

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 08, 2023, 04:49:51 PM »
I have now used my retirement from engine engineering career to rebuild every component of a 1974 Lotus Europa Special and a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger mk1a.
I can say unequivocally that the Tiger is at least twice as difficult to work on the Lotus.  The foresight and engineering is way ahead for Lotus compared to the slightly older Tiger.  One of the difficulties we have is not comparing our old Lotus to today's cars.

So, when you are asses and elbows into your Lotus, just remember, it could be much worse🙂
   From what I’ve seen your Tiger and Europa are concours d'elegance specimens.
Dakazman

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,May 08, 2023, 11:05:51 PM »
I think we all have "grrr" moments with restoration or maintenance but if I'm realistic the Europa has been one of the easiest sports cars I've worked on.

Some cars have been as easy, Land Rovers for example seem to have been designed to be fixed in a muddy field with only a hammer, and some have been far, far more difficult.

The prize for the hardest currently resides with the Porsche Cayman which I gave up with and sold at the end of last year simply because of the hassle doing anything. Change the serpentine belt driving the alternator, etc ? a full day. Front coolant hose from transfer pipe to rad ? a full day, most of which was spent carefully cutting out the old, rusty, Porsche-specific connector so as to avoid damage to the transfer pipes and dropping into a world of pain where a damaged pipe needs replacing and front subframe/geometry needs pulling apart.

So yes, in the cold light of day, an old Lotus is amazingly simple.....  pass me that hammer ?  ;)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 09, 2023, 12:57:26 PM »
HI:
"I can say unequivocally that the Tiger is at least twice as difficult to work on the Lotus."
I have the same blend!
The Tiger was easier to part source (back in the day) as there were a lot of Alpines around.
The lotus is now getting more of my retired attention and it's the little things that bite.
Like the French engine guys love of M7 bolts.
C'est La Vie!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,May 09, 2023, 02:51:20 PM »

HI:
"I can say unequivocally that the Tiger is at least twice as difficult to work on the Lotus."
I have the same blend!
The Tiger was easier to part source (back in the day) as there were a lot of Alpines around.
The lotus is now getting more of my retired attention and it's the little things that bite.
Like the French engine guys love of M7 bolts.
C'est La Vie!

I ordered 2 set of m7 bolts in different lengths from England,.. I know your pain .

Dakazman       

Offline GavinT

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,May 09, 2023, 06:01:13 PM »
Yeah . . there's probably not many cars where you can change the oil filter, air filter, check the engine oil and gearbox oil, all without moving your feet.