Author Topic: Steering column bushings  (Read 745 times)

Offline jbcollier

Steering column bushings
« on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 05:05:54 AM »
The “regular” steering column bushings are failing in use.  There are now uprated column bushings available.  Make sure you have fitted the uprated ones.  It’s not a dangerous failure but it will potentially damage your turn signal switch before you notice the issue — and be a pain to have todo twice!

Offline Pfreen

Re: Steering column bushings
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 05:46:44 AM »
Where do you get the uprated bushings?

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 07:10:13 AM »
I would like to know where to get them as well. My Elan needs them badly. I'm tired of hearing rattles!
« Last Edit: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 08:30:56 AM by TheKid#9 »

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 07:22:12 AM »
I know the usual suspects have them in stock. 

PITA to remove, more of a PITA if you destroy your signal stalk or grit your teeth at the annoyance of a rattle in the column.

Just checked with Ray...replacements are 13.50 USD, poly are 30.00 USD.  In stock, etc.  No financial interest, yadda yadda...
Bryan Boyle
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 07:46:54 AM »
Moss and BPNW have them as well as I’m sure others.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 09:04:47 AM »
Are the poly ones the uprated version? And if not, are they worth the extra cost?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »
Yes the poly versions are the uprated ones.  If you drive your car, yes, they are worth it.  Mine failed in under 17K and took out a new turn signal switch as well.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 11:01:19 AM »
A quick look at Moss shows two bushes. There seems to be only a lower uprated bushing (https://mossmotors.com/triumph-spitfire/suspension-steering/steering/steering-column-1977-80). Do they both deserve replacing and is there an uprated upper bushing?

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 12:36:20 PM »
You're right! Thanks!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 12:59:58 PM »
I must admit I don't understand this.  I don't ever recall the warning that steering column bushes were an early failure point on either the Elan or Europa and it's pretty much the same column in both cars, or at least the early ones.

Is the issue that modern replacements are not made to the tolerances of the original Triumph bushes and thus have play from day one ? 

Or are we so used to modern cars with rock solid steering columns that the flex from the rubber is enough to cause concerns that "something isn't right"  ?

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 04:55:04 PM »
I have to admit that this is the first time I've heard about this subject in all the years I've been on this forum and for the many years I was on the yahoo group and now the Europa group.io group. I don't discount JB's or anybody's warnings. I just find it curious. It seems to have been a problem for some people since an uprated bushing is offered. It is nice to have an uprated bushing if you need one.

I admit that I was experiencing some slop in my steering and reading about the problem some were having with their bushing, I investigated a bit more closely. My slop did not really show up in the horizongal directions but only really in the vertical directions. That made me a bit suspicious that the cause was something else. There are two nuts that are tightened on studs pointing up right behind the dashboard. I was not able to tighten them because I couldn't get to them with a wrench. I did tighten two bolts near the ignition switch and that seemed to take most of the slop out. There is still a little play in the steering shaft which doesn't seem bad but I'll know more when I drive the car again.

I would advise people who have slop in their steering first try to move the outside tube of the steering column before you worry about replacing that bushing. Make sure that your play isn't coming from there. If you can make sure all the bolts and nuts associated with the steering column near the dashboard and ignition switch are tight. You could also compare the slop from trying to move the entire steering column to any slop in the steering shaft itself (take off the steering wheel and try to wiggle it).

I think it pays to investigate fully here especially because of the pain of taking the steering column out.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 06:24:58 PM »
***DELETIA***

I admit that I was experiencing some slop in my steering and reading about the problem some were having with their bushing, I investigated a bit more closely. My slop did not really show up in the horizongal directions but only really in the vertical directions. That made me a bit suspicious that the cause was something else. There are two nuts that are tightened on studs pointing up right behind the dashboard. I was not able to tighten them because I couldn't get to them with a wrench. I did tighten two bolts near the ignition switch and that seemed to take most of the slop out. There is still a little play in the steering shaft which doesn't seem bad but I'll know more when I drive the car again.

***DELETIA***

In the clamp that attaches the steering column to the bracket at the bottom of the dash (and is attached to that clamp with 2 7/16 nuts on the top of the bracket...below) there is supposed to be a spring steel secondary clamp that's captured inside the two pieces that grips the column when you tighten the clamp down.  It's also frequently missing especially if (d)POs took the clamp apart and the spring steel went walkabout.  In maybe 50% of the columns I've taken apart...it was missing.  The column should not be loose in the clamp, that spring steel fitting helps stabilize it. 

I agree it is a PITA to get to those 2 nuts (especially if folks haven't dressed the wires properly...and have routed various wires under or around the column).  Patience helps...lol...
Bryan Boyle
Morrisville PA

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »
I am the only owner but I completely rebuilt the car in the ‘90s. It’s quite possible I left mine off. Thanks for pointer! (Can you provide a part number?)  Of course, I’m one of those owners who have a lot of wires crossing that area that would make it a major pain to get all that apart! Of course!
« Last Edit: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 06:48:27 PM by BDA »

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 07:00:56 PM »
I am the only owner but I completely rebuilt the car in the ‘90s. It’s quite possible I left mine off. Thanks for pointer! (Can you provide a part number?)  Of course, I’m one of those owners who have a lot of wires crossing that area that would make it a major pain to get all that apart! Of course!

They don't call out a part number for it...and the clamp is called out as being part of the column.  Let me look when I get back to PA next week through my stash and see if I have one buried somewhere.  I need to get to the storage locker where most of my big parts and boxes o'parts is and I'll look and see if I have one.
Bryan Boyle
Morrisville PA