Author Topic: Hermes intake on S2  (Read 333 times)

Offline mlg10231

Hermes intake on S2
« on: Wednesday,January 05, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
The '69 S2 with 45 dcoe and Hermes intake has run rich since I bought it in November, beginning to miss 40 miles after a plug cleaning. All plugs are black, not oily black but dry carbon black. There's a bit of dark smoke under hard acceleration. Forums I've read say don't be too quick to fault the carb for rich running, so I have patiently played with plugs, distributor, and timing. Finally I pulled the inspection cover on the carb to see what size the main jets are. It seems that 150 is the recommended size. Sure enough, the first one I pulled was a 150. There was a surprise when I pulled out the second emulsion tube: it had no jet on it! I believe that would explain the very rich running . . . however, my question is, why are all the plugs black instead of only the two cylinders fed by the missing jet? Do the passages join in the Hermes intake?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Hermes intake on S2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,January 05, 2022, 08:26:56 PM »
If two cylinders are running poorly, then it affects the whole engines performance for a given throttle opening and rpm.  Fit the missing jet and see where you are then.

Online jetting guidelines are just that, guidelines.  Fit a wide band O2 sensor and an A/FR gauge and you can set it up exactly for your local conditions.