Author Topic: S2 Door build up  (Read 381 times)

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
S2 Door build up
« on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 11:57:23 AM »
Any useful tips on sequence of door build up? I'm assuming handles and locks first...
Thanks
Graham

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Re: S2 Door build up
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »
Graham,
Don’t quite understand what you mean by “door buildup” but I would imagine the glass and rail/motor system would require the most working room.  The handle and latch can be reached from the inside.  The locking mechanism bars are a pita but can also be accomplished with the interior door panel off.  The most fiddley part is getting the bar clips correctly aligned.  Mine keep falling off but since I don’t lock the doors those bars are unimportant.

What I wish I had done when the doors were off and being refinished was to build up the interior side of the lower front corners.  Opening and closing the doors over the years in storage most likely caused stress in that area.  When I picked the car up the doors were severely sagged.  The PO’s kids used to play in it so those corners were probably exposed to a lot of hidden stress.  The driver’s side fell off shortly after I completed the car’s redesign.  The fiberglass is thin there so I’ll be rebuilding both sides this winter.   
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 04:56:48 PM »
The handles and locks first. The window gear makes getting to those a bit hard. If you're going to mount a rear view mirror from the inside, now might be a good time to workout the method and holes. Then they can be installed after the windows.

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
Never having removed the window gear, I concede to Kendo.
Bruce F
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 14, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
Thanks guys.
Built the drivers door today, handle and lock in first then main window assembly (after laying motor assemly in the bottom of the door), then quarter light. It was a lot easier than I was expecting actually, and the electric window worked first time!!