Author Topic: JPS Europa side decals  (Read 298 times)

Offline kram350kram

JPS Europa side decals
« on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »
Looking for any info on the original JPS decals that I believe were mounted on the B pillars; size, diameter, colors, etc... Have seen many on the Net but not sure what was original? Thanks for any help 

Offline BDA

Re: JPS Europa side decals
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 07:11:51 PM »
Many years ago, I lent Ray at r.d. an original JPS B-pillar sticker to make copies and sell. He had a bunch made but I don't think he sold many. I don't know if he is still selling them but he'd be worth a shot.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 10, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »
they were never original.....after market sticker only
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,October 10, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »
So never a factory or dealer installed standard spec'ed item. Thanks !

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,October 10, 2021, 07:23:00 PM »
If by “after market, you mean “not original from the factory”, you may be right. Other people can opine about what part of the JPS “program” was done by the factory, the dealers, or the distributors. I have no opinion. I sent this article (http://www.lotus-europa.com/jps.html) to Andy Graham who disputed some of it. The story of the JPS Europas was not well documented and is thus fertile ground for speculation and myth.

My first Europa was a “demonstrator” at a local Lotus dealer. It was not a JPS - it wasn’t even black! - but it had the JPS sticker on the B-pillar. My second, and current Europa, was purchased at the Lotus distributor in New Orleans. It was not a JPS either. I purchased or was given several JPS stickers at the distributor that I saved for the eventuality of changing the crazed and dull metallic green paint to my preferred color, white. The copies I mentioned that Ray made were made from one of those stickers I got from the distributor.

I don’t know if those stickers were from the factory or if they were sanctioned by Lotus, but they did come a Lotus distributor. I have seen pictures of JPS Europas without the sticker on the B-pillar. It might be that they are not part of the JPS livery though it is my belief that they are. They are certainly in no way definitive - my first Europa being a primary case for that and my current Europa has them too.

I guess it all hinges on your definition of “after market.”