Author Topic: Mounting rearview mirror on the door  (Read 892 times)

Offline Adde

Mounting rearview mirror on the door
« on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 12:46:23 PM »
Hi,

I'm about to mount some new rearview mirrors on the doors of my S2 - 68, (I don't have any right now).
To do that, I would like to put the screw from the inside with a plate as reinforcement on the inside of the door.

That's, where I get confused of how do I get access to the inside of the door? Will I get that by removing the interior of the door?

I would like to have them kind of this position (see picture, borrowed  from "http://lotus-europa.com/may2004.html")

Offline BDA

Re: Mounting rearview mirror on the door
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 01:16:59 PM »
You should remove the interior door panel (or door card as some call it). Besides the clips around the circumference (some also have a screw which should be obvious), the plastic "bezel" around the door handle holds them on. You can carefully separate the upper and lower halves of the door handle bezel to take them off. Then you can see what you've got. I'm sorry I don't have a clear memory of what's behind the door card. Since I suspect most, if not all door mirrors are designed to be attached to the door from the outside, you should also make sure you can mount them the way you are planning. It might be possible to use a machine screw with a nut and washer inside the door but I doubt that will be the intended method.

I don't remember any access holes in that area of the door. If you're really motivated you could make one. Conversely, you might be able to reach up from the speaker hole. I THINK that most mirrors come with plastic pieces that you insert in a hole in the door and screwing the mounting screw into them, they spread out locking them in place (think molly bolt).

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 01:39:29 PM »
I am sure you will have considered this……but take time working out where exactly you mount them. It is easy to mount the driver’s mirror and then realise that when you attempt to mount the passenger mirror so it’s symmetrical to the drivers it may not be in the correct place to be useful. The gentleman who owned mine before me made that mistake and didn’t mount the passenger one because of that.

Frankly, I don't miss a passenger door mirror. The ones you have found seem very nice

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
I did mine with door panel removed. I second the placement checking while seated. I also urge you do to a convex passenger mirror if you are putting one on that side. Both mine are. I can type blind spot but I've never seen or had one.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »
 :I-agree: I also made plates for the inside of the door to spread the load of the mounting nuts and washers.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »
 :I-agree: with both those fine gentlemen. I had a friend help me with my passenger side mirror and thought it was good enough so that some adjustment would make it perfect. It turned out, I could only see the road near the rear wheel when it was done. I've since corrected it but let that be a lesson to you.

With an assistant, take your time and make sure you get it right. If possible, try to position the mirror so that it's pretty "neutral" so if it isn't right, you have adjustment room to fix it.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »
My car has three screws under the door handle if they are loosened  it makes the bezel much easier to remove .
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline Adde

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 12:16:03 AM »
Thanks for all advides.

I will start removing the interior door pennel gently to see how it looks beneth.
Also , thanks for the advise to pay extra attention on the passenger car side and symetry between the sides. I guese I need to wait untili have someone helping me out here.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 04:49:04 AM »
My tcs has what I believe the original mirrors mounted with 3 screws in the base and then spire clips within the door.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 06:30:52 AM »
This is how I set mine up. I used a blanket so a tape failure didn't kill a mirror. I blue taped the paint so I didn't scratch it and taped the mirrors on. I did both side like this. I marked the postion on the blue tape so I could move back to other positions too.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 06:51:50 AM »
If you have plexiglass windows, you can do this:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-XLvkTWT/A

Blindspot?  What blindspot?

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 07:31:06 AM »
…goodness I love that blue

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »
If you have plexiglass windows, you can do this:

Blindspot?  What blindspot?

That's great John if your have AC and cannot open your windows.....  :FUNNY:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 02:33:02 PM »
Yes to both.  You can’t open the windows and there is ac.  Small rally type sliders are in the works.

Blue is an 80s Ford colour.  Think back to all those two toned mini vans.

Offline Adde

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,October 10, 2021, 04:12:00 AM »
Yes to both.  You can’t open the windows and there is ac.  Small rally type sliders are in the works.

Blue is an 80s Ford colour.  Think back to all those two toned mini vans.

That's interesting, I newer noticed that some Europa had a singel side window. What models had that, or is it some modification afterwards?