Author Topic: Breathing troubles  (Read 729 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Breathing troubles
« Reply #15 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »
If you do lots of short trips, condensation might be an issue.  Otherwise probably not as the Europa’s engine compartment is so warm that water should stay in vapour form.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 05:45:30 AM »
What about using the 90 the degree elbow from RD Enterprises, adding some metal tubing, and having it point down and just let the fumes out the bottom and whatever oil drips, it will hit the pavement?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »
That's how it was done on the early engines.  It works.  Greenpeace might start picketing your house though.

I'm not too wild about vacuum retard and exhaust gas recirculation in the early, crude pollution control systems (modern versions are amazing) but the burning of crankcase fumes is a one of the good ones.  Engines actually run better with a little bit of a draw from the crankcase.  It's worth the trouble to do it right.

I would use the 90° fitting but go up.  Fit some mesh in the line and plumb it into one, or more, of the air filters.

Since my last report, I drove another 11 hours and my oil consumption is still zero.  That's better than having a litre or two pumped out.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,October 12, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »
This is the hose I remember from the Sunbeam Alpine.  This goes from one of the breathers to each carb. air filter.  I believe this was on the 1725cc motor from 1967.   It's cheap enough at $18.00.