Author Topic: new owner '74 TCS misc ?  (Read 15026 times)

Offline Lumbes

Re: new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« Reply #225 on: Friday,June 28, 2024, 10:27:55 AM »
Update on transmission rebuild, should be ready for pick up next Friday!  Crossing my fingers that this is it and I can put the car back together next month.  Thanks to everyone for helping me make it this far, I will be posting pictures once I have the gearbox and I am able to make some progress. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #226 on: Friday,June 28, 2024, 10:34:37 AM »
 :beerchug:

Looking forward to your pictures!

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #227 on: Sunday,June 30, 2024, 10:46:33 AM »
Fairly certain that I am missing a part on the speedometer drive assembly, where it connects to the transmission.  When looking at the parts manual off of RD's site within the Shift Mechanism page part#33 Ring seal.  I don't have it.  Hoping it is not a hard to come by part and that RD has one.  Going to be e-mailing/calling tomorrow.
Before the engine rebuild began, I ordered a new engine temp sensor and never got around to installing it.  Upon closer inspection the numbers stamped on the sensor differ between the old and new and just wanted to double check if the new one is correct.  Numbers read 06/20 on the new and 13/18 on the old.  The adapter with the rubber gasket glued to it has run out of time and will need replaced or perhaps I can scrape off the remaining rubber and replace it with a small o ring?  Another thing to ask RD tomorrow if they have in stock.
I could not find the lower engine back plate and the upper engine back plate was in rough shape so I ordered new ones a few months ago.  Seeing they fit between the block and the bellhousing the upper will line up onto the block and have 6 bolts run through it while the lower back plate needs to be fastened to the bellhousing by 3 bolts.  I do not have those bolts, would anyone on here know the sizing of said bolts?  365 gearbox, standard bellhousing. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #228 on: Sunday,June 30, 2024, 03:30:49 PM »
I don't have a TC motor but I'm not familiar with a temp sender that does not use 1/8" NPT threads. I believe it is to be screwed in where you have plugs in the thermostat housing.

The bottom shield is really only secured with one bolt. I believe it is a 1/4-28 bolt into the bell housing. Usually coarse threads are used in castings such as the bello housing so check and make sure what it is. I think I stripped mine  :(  so I got a long 1/4-28 bolt and a regular nut. I ground the side of the nut down almost to the threads because there is no room for a whole nut. I put the bolt with a washer in a dust shield mounting hole on the exhaust side of the shield through a hole in the bell housing. The nut is retained by the bell housing so it won't turn. I just tighten up the bolt. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes together.

I admit that I'm a little foggy on the details but I think when you look at it you'll see what I did. You can use my method with the original bolt (which is, IIRC near the bottom and to the intake side of the dust shield) so you'd then have two bolts holding it on.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #229 on: Sunday,June 30, 2024, 07:05:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply BDA!  Your explanation on how you mounted the lower back plate is very helpful.  I will source some 1/4-28 bolts so I have them on hand for when I pick up the transmission this Friday.  It will be a genuinely fun time come this weekend.  I have all the parts accounted for surrounding the engine configured as a small island next to the car.  Cannot wait to make that pile disappear. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #230 on: Sunday,June 30, 2024, 08:03:32 PM »
Nice shop and from the looks of the parts I can see, you’ll do fine. You might want to refer to the index of one of the nicer stock restorations on this forum (https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4871.msg52756#msg52756). Hopefully that will be helpful but you know there are people here to help in any event.