Author Topic: New Member saying Hi  (Read 816 times)

Offline gt_james

New Member saying Hi
« on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, I'm James and I'm from Tewkesbury, England. I'm not a europa owner, but my Dad has owned and raced a few, and he still owns one which he has owned since 1984. I have helped him work on it recently, it's had the original renault engine refitted after running a TS renault crossflow for a number of years.

I have come close to owning my own europa before, but unfortunately haven't ever owned one of my own, but I hope to correct that some day.

I have plenty of other projects though, but I would certainly like to find a europa project (3 mazda RX-7s, a skyline and building a garage are my current projects haha)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: New Member saying Hi
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »
 :Welcome:

When did you last see another Europa driving on the road down your way?

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline gt_james

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 02:30:32 PM »
Last time I bumped into dad in his! in all seriousness I've never seen another in the wild, only seen others at shows, viewing ones for sale or at race meetings!

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 03:27:07 PM »
 :Welcome: gt!

I hope you find your own Europa soon! In the meantime, if you have any questions, fire away!

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
  Hope you find one for yourself.
Dakazman

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 09:59:05 PM »
Hello James,

I hope you find a Europa to add to your collection!
Mark

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,July 15, 2020, 10:55:12 PM »
Hi James, and another  :Welcome:

3 RX7's ? You must have half of the UK population in your garage, I can't think I've seen one on the road in 10+ years.  Clearly you like a challenge and so are well suited to Europa ownership !

Are yours all with the original engines, I'm sure I've read articles where they've been swapped out for a more conventional motor due to maintenance costs, etc. My Brother in law had an RX8 (nothing like as attractive as the 7 in my eyes) and although the engine was thirsty and did break at around 50k-ish, when he told me the rebuild costs I thought it was pretty cheap for a performance engine. Certainly cheaper than rebuilding a TC motor these days.

Is your dad on the forum ? If not, get him involved because I'm sure he'd fit right in.

Cheers
Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,July 16, 2020, 08:51:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum, James. Sounds like some cool projects, there. Good luck in your search for a Europa.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,July 16, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
Hello GT and  :Welcome:
Make sure to leave room in that new garage you’re building fora Europa. (They don’t take up much space!)
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline gt_james

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,July 16, 2020, 02:31:17 PM »
Hi James, and another  :Welcome:

3 RX7's ? You must have half of the UK population in your garage, I can't think I've seen one on the road in 10+ years.  Clearly you like a challenge and so are well suited to Europa ownership !

Are yours all with the original engines, I'm sure I've read articles where they've been swapped out for a more conventional motor due to maintenance costs, etc. My Brother in law had an RX8 (nothing like as attractive as the 7 in my eyes) and although the engine was thirsty and did break at around 50k-ish, when he told me the rebuild costs I thought it was pretty cheap for a performance engine. Certainly cheaper than rebuilding a TC motor these days.

Is your dad on the forum ? If not, get him involved because I'm sure he'd fit right in.

Cheers
Brian

I have 3 of the original MK1 (FB) shape, which are certainly very rare, all with mazda rotary engines, two original engine, one a swap from the MK2 (FC) RX7, (bit more power but very closely related) I wouldn't want to remove the engine for a piston engine, then it just becomes any other 70s coupe! The RX8s were a bit of a let down compared to the RX7s as the engine was somewhat neutered to meet emissions, and the car was a much bigger 4 door car not the diminutive 2 seaters as before. They do drive well, but unfortunately seem to fail more prematurely than the earlier cars, which were actually quite reliable if looked after (I have used mine as daily drivers to work for a while with no problems!).

Thought I'd post some pics of my cars with my dads Europa S2, and a few pics of when my dad raced the same lotus back in the 80s.

PS not sure if I have attached images OK, but I have done the same as I do on other forums

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,July 16, 2020, 04:42:07 PM »
Nice cars!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,July 16, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
Your pictures come across great (if a little big!). Here's one way of reducing the size of your pictures: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0

Nice pictures of nice cars, though! Are you actively looking for a Europa? We can keep an eye out for you!

Offline gt_james

« Reply #14 on: Friday,July 17, 2020, 02:34:51 AM »
I did see that but I was posting from my phone, not sure how to resize. I do have other projects, so I'm not in any rush, but I would definitely like to know about any S2 (or even S1s) that come up that may fit the bill.