Author Topic: Special?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Special?
« Reply #15 on: Monday,January 20, 2020, 01:26:21 PM »
Is compression different too to get the higher output power?
Yes, or rather it was between the Elan engines and I can't see the Europa being any different. 9.5 to 10.xx from memory, the head is fractionally "thinner" to get this figure.

I'm not sure how much this contributes, from what folks have said in the past most of the added power came from the cam profiles.  The Elan has different chokes/jets for the BV engine, don't know if that applies to the Dellortos though.

Brian

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #16 on: Monday,January 20, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
I have the certificate from Andy Graham.  It was built in Dec of 1972.  The problem was with Florida. It was originally a Florida car and they didn’t know how to title it, fromI assume the original Lotus documentation.   Its all good now.  What is in the window is the vin number, so everyone is happy.  I have a complete title search on the car. i am the third owner.  All sales have been in Florida.

Offline Roger

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 04:35:30 AM »
All Federal TC  engines are Big Valve low compression, Stromberg carbs and I don't think Federal  TCS engines are any different.
U K and other TCS engines had the same upgrades as the Elan Sprint and Plus2 130, mainly BV high compression, D type camshafts, Dell'Orto carbs etc.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 04:44:30 AM »
I thought only the black “Big Valve” cam covers were on factory big valve engines.  Not true?

Offline pboedker

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 04:51:02 AM »
Oh, that 74 type number is really confusing, especially because our cars have a build and register year around there also.

My own car is built in august '73 but was first registered until april '74. It is a 'Special' so that means a Lotus type 74 (used for TC + Special). Lotus never used the concept of model years, so my car is a '73 no matter when it was shipped to or registered in US.

The full vin is 73083904R and the window tag is 3904R, but what really confused my local motor office during importing and registering it was the number stamped in the chassis and reading '74/3904R'. It took some discussion and even a letter from Lotus to prove that '74' was only the type number and not the build year. I can easily see how various motor offices end up with all the 'creative' numbers they do when trying to fit the Lotus vin number or chassis number into the local vin formats. Having the '/' omitted or replaced by '1' is not unheard of either. We even have local Europas where the 'Q' for ROW is written as 'O' on the title.
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
Fed spec Twin Cam  (non-Specials) are Big Valve and their valve covers are painted Red.  Specials have black ones.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »
Except mine which is a regular TC but has a black valve cover due to the “enhanced” engine build. So now I’m “special”.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 03:31:30 PM »
Certified. As we all knew.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,January 21, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
Apparently then my non-special is also special.  Apparently it's been worked-over and a lot of stuff is special (not).

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #24 on: Sunday,January 26, 2020, 04:39:44 AM »
I think I read somewhere a Special also has beefier u-joints?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Roger

« Reply #25 on: Sunday,January 26, 2020, 09:31:43 AM »
I think I read somewhere a Special also has beefier u-joints?

I dont think so. The inner wheel bearing is bigger, and the bearing carriers and radius arms are different.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #26 on: Sunday,January 26, 2020, 10:16:38 AM »
Same u-joints as the TC.

Offline 74Twincam

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 01:35:36 AM »
TC Specials were also fitted standard with adjustable lower links on the rear suspension to adjust rear camber, looking at the heim joint connecting the link at the transmission mount/brace.
-Bill

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 01:45:14 AM »
TC Specials were also fitted standard with adjustable lower links on the rear suspension to adjust rear camber, looking at the heim joint connecting the link at the transmission mount/brace.
-Bill
I thought that was an aftermarket fitment and all the OEM Europas had fixed length lower links ?  The parts manual I have just shows one lower link for all models, UK & Federal TC/TCS cars.
Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 05:33:43 AM »
I also thought same. No adjustment on lower links from factory. Adjustable is after market.