Author Topic: The Europa and the Exotic Car Food Chain  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Pfreen

Re: The Europa and the Exotic Car Food Chain
« Reply #30 on: Thursday,November 14, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
Which Alfa?  123 or the coupe?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #31 on: Thursday,November 14, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
Found a few more cars.
Dakazman

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #32 on: Thursday,November 14, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Well, I always liked those Bertone bodied GT coupes.  But I'm talking about that 123 car, whatever it is.  Very special.  I'm not that knowledgeable, and particularly about the newer cars.  So many of them, such ridiculous power, and so out of reach.  Many not even very great or distinctive looking to my eye.  They all kind of blend together.

The one time I drove a GTV about 25 or 30 years ago, it seemed loose and kind of like a truck.  Maybe it was just not in good condition.  Needless to say, I didn't buy it. 

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #33 on: Thursday,November 14, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
I tend to agree with you on the supercars.  I can’t relate to them, and they all look very similar.  I also liked the 123 Alfa. A friend of mine’s wife said to me while looking at that car, why would someone sloppily hand paint the numbers on such a beautiful car.  I replied, I don’t know. :confused:

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #34 on: Thursday,November 14, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »
The 123 Alfa is a beautiful car.  Like so many things about the older sports cars nothing was perfect but at the same time so appealing with all the imperfections.  The 123 being painted on is probably a sign it was done in period when someone just needed a racing number and adds to the mystique of the car.  I have a friend who restores concourse cars and had won his class at pebble beach a few times and his opinion is that most old cars are over restored because in the 50s/60s/70s built by hand meant built by hand and things were not perfect but were very serviceable to race and race fast. Look at the cobra world, the rattiest one at the field is probably the real one all the replicas are the perfect ones.
R
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #35 on: Friday,November 15, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »

I was thinking of the 123 racer, though the Giulia coupe is nice too. I bought a Spyder back in the day. Loved that car, but killed it trying to use it as a daily driver/commuter car including New England winters. Sold it when kids came along.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #36 on: Thursday,November 21, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »
I guess South Florida exotic car owners need something to do in between Exotic car shows and picking up South Beach super models, or Eastern European exotic dancers.  So in the spirit of the holidays, they are having The Toys for Tots Exotic Car Rally.  They try to define what is an exotic car and what is not.  And they then ask you to understand if your car isn't exotic enough. Here are the requirements for exotic car eligibility.

What is an exotic?

http://www.toyrally.com/exotic_cars.htm

« Last Edit: Thursday,November 21, 2019, 08:35:42 PM by literarymadness »

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #37 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
What a great selection of cars, thanks for sharing. The Europa is the best bang for your buck out there if you want to hang out with the "fancy" guys (or even if you don't!). My S2 was singled out and sent to the fancy parking area at the Portland Cars & Coffee a few months ago, look which car gets the attention and it was like this all morning.

Online BDA

« Reply #38 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 08:29:42 AM »
I guess South Florida exotic car owners need something to do in between Exotic car shows and picking up South Beach super models, or Eastern European exotic dancers.  So in the spirit of the holidays, they are having The Toys for Tots Exotic Car Rally.  They try to define what is an exotic car and what is not.  And they then ask you to understand if your car isn't exotic enough. Here are the requirements for exotic car eligibility.

What is an exotic?

http://www.toyrally.com/exotic_cars.htm

I understand why they want to make it exclusive and I appreciate their way of determining just what "exotic" means to them but I'm still not sure what that means to our Europas. I really don't consider the Europa exotic but maybe that's because it's not unusual for me to see one in a parking lot (mine) but it is but it is scarce (maybe more scarce than a Lambo Muira). You could say it was created in an unusual way (sometimes that's not a good thing) but I have a feeling that Chunky was hoping for a bigger market for the Europa than it got...

I guess it's ok since I won't be able to attend anyway!  :)

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #39 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
BDA:  I was happy they had Lotus on their list.

Online BDA

« Reply #40 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »
I was too. I was wondering which Loti they would accept as exotic. As I was saying, maybe I'm too close to them, but I don't see Europas as exotic. Original Elites or Elevens would certainly be rare enough and unusual enough and interesting enough but they don't fit my definition of exotic. On the other hand I would consider them among the most exotic Lotus road cars.

Anyway, I'm glad somebody else is trying their hand at the definition of exotic because it makes my head hurt!

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #41 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
Reading the description, it seems like Lotus was grouped with the makes that were all models inclusive as exotics.  Porsche and Mercedes on the other hand were in the specific exclusive models used as examples.  The Europa or any Lotus model seems to fit right in with their description. And 1970Europaguy: I am not surprised that they loved your car :trophy:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #42 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 05:47:34 PM »
I don't consider my S1 Europa an "exotic" car.  I consider it an impractical, fragile, sports car with absolutely amazing handling characteristics when it's not being repaired or serviced.  I absolutely adore it, warts (in my case figurative) and all.

One example of its "non-exoticity" is that people do not find Europas nor their owners intimidating.  There's no pretension, nor assumed wealth, when you drive a Europa.  Everyone and anyone just walks up and starts asking questions.  Those in the know, usually have a concerned look and want to know if you've broken down ;-)  I really, really like that aspect of Europa ownership.  I get the same fun as the "exotic" car owners and none of the resentment nor assumptions of "ass-h*le-ness that they get -- and sometimes richly deserve.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #43 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
Just because something is affordable doesn't mean it isn't exotic. That article mentioned specific criteria to define exotic.  It mentioned "rare."  There are no more than a dozen or so Europas in the state of Florida which has a population of almost 22 million.  That is one Europa per 2 million residents. It mentions "unusual style."  I can't think of any car that could possibly mistaken for a Europa. It mentions "design." The Europa was one of the first cars ever designed in a wind tunnel.  That was pretty exotic in 1966.  Price is irrelevant. At one time old Ferraris were affordable.  It wasn't that long a go that a Dino 246 was going for $20,000. Now they are $400,000. It mentions "historical significance." Lotus pretty much beat everybody but Lamborghini to the Mid-engine game in 1967. I could go on and on.  Not everyone who owns an expensive exotic car is an a**hole.  Some of my friends worked very hard to be in a position to own the cars they own.  And they never forgot where they came from and are very approachable. Yes some wealthy people who drive exotics are a**holes but so are some people who drive Toyotas. 

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #44 on: Friday,November 22, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
I've actually been fighting the "exotic" label. A local garage (Burnetts, Wenham, MA) specializes in Triumphs, Healeys, MGs, etc.. I asked them to help me get my Strombergs dialed in, but NOOOO! "Lotus is too EXOTIC for us." they said. "It's just a f@#king mish-mash of all the other cars you service!" I said, but to no avail. Sheesh!
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery