Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Richard H

Hi!
« on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »
 :newhere:Well, actually hi to some of you, the rest will recognise me from a few years on the Yahoo site.

I'm UK based, Shrewsbury for those who live over here, and a I confess a very long time Europa owner, nearly 43 years, the same S2 type 54.  Now retired from my job as a mechanical engineer the Europa has long been relegated from daily driver to hobby and continues to keep the technical side of the brain active.

Changes over the years

Engine 697 > 843 >  + EFI > MGF 1.8VVC
Gearbox 336 > 395 > NG3-099
Suspension now has radius arm supplanting the driveshaft as upper link, otherwise quite standard layout with marginally stiffer springs and Protech dampers.
Brakes now vented discs at the front and solid MGF sourced discs at the back with 2psi residual pressure valve in line
A plywood splitter at the front has proved very effective at keeping the nose down
An undertray at the rear with diffuser is as yet mainly untested, been very busy extending my workshop and there's not been time.

Miscellaneous stuff includes a very thorough review of the steering compromising:
Replaced the rubber grommet based UJ with a steel one
Carefully adjusted the steering rack preload, only to discover it really needs a redesign per the TCS rack.  Long story, too long.
Fitted spacers between the front hub taper roller bearings, this stopped the car tramlining on road imperfections also removing an elusive rattle.

MGF 15" wheels with 195-50-15 tyres, wheels centred on spigots added to hubs

Done one club Lotus track day at Castle Combe, but otherwise it's a road plaything

That's about it, looking forward to exchanges, I see there are one or two members not far from me, makes a change from most being an ocean apart.

Offline BDA

Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
 :Welcome: Richard!

It sounds like you've done some very interesting development work on your car! I know I speak for everybody here when I say that we'd love to see some pictures! Many people have a problem resizing their pictures for the forum so there's an explanation of one way to resize your pictures for the forum here: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »
 :Welcome:  There is a great camaraderie here on this forum and we love photos.  Would love to see a pic of that MGF engine.

Offline Richard H

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 08:40:40 AM »
I shall try and fulfil the request for pictures, glad literary asked about the engine, far and away the hardest change I've made, but very worth it.  Weighs about the same as the Renault XF and produces 143bhp, huge difference.

It's always the same though, you're deep into the project of the day, for example the engine swap and you think, must take a picture.  Then years later you look at the pic and realise all the rubbish in the background, but that aside hopefully I'll get the hang of the method and more than I wanted to reveal, will be revealed  :)

The pic of the car is a few years old, it's gained some features since.. most of them positive.

The pic of the engine/gearbox outside the car also shows the dummy plywood chassis, essential to ensure everything fits

Then there's the installed pics, always look at the dirty chassis and wish it was all shiny following a full rebuild, can't have everything I guess..

OK, the preview doesn't seem to show the attachments, I'll hit send anyway and well see how it goes  :-\

Offline Richard H

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
It worked  :)

Offline Richard H

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »
Correction, the photo of the car is more recent than I thought, only the diffuser is missing, it's quite subtle anyway

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
This is the first time I've heard of an MGF engine swap! Another to add to the list!

It looks very nicely done and I like the wheels! Congratulations on a very pretty car!

Offline Arizona

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
Very nice! You must have acquired it around the same time I acquired mine, it will be 43 years in a few months, but mine is a TC and I've made only very minor modifications.
George F. Johnson

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
And about time to !!!!

Welcome Richard, good to see you've finally got on here.....   ;)

Brian

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #9 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »
Hello Richard,
I'm new on here too, I'm based between Stafford and Uttoxeter so not so very far away. My car is however a long way off being on the road yet  :D

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
And the valve cover even says Twin Cam, how perfect is that.  :beerchug:

Offline Richard H

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
Hi Brian, yes, it took awhile.  I have occasionally dipped in as a spectator, maybe I can offer something useful now.

Arizona, I acquired mine on 21 Jan 1977.  Commuted 25 miles each way to work in it, it was a whole month before I got there without stopping for running repairs, mainly due to catching up on neglected maintenance, DPOs eh?

Broadside, keep at it, it's worth it

literary, Twin-cam?  >:(  :) we in the [ex] Renault fraternity are quite defensive of the old A-series  ;)  Having said that the K-series is much quieter.. until the VVC kicks in that is..

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »
 :Welcome:

Richard .
   Very nice S2 . You have taken great care of it from the pictures and it seems you have a lot of time invested. We definitely would like more details on your mods.
Dakazman

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
Of course it is 16V and an MGF engine and nothing to do with the Lotus head/Ford block engine, but I thought it was cool seeing it inscribed on the engine because the term Twin Cam is so synonymous with Lotus. 
« Last Edit: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 10:13:29 AM by literarymadness »

Offline Richard H

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
yes, I knew that literary, but old debates die hard in the Europa community  :)