Author Topic: New member  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
Hello, I've just purchased a '69 part restored S2 in very standard form. I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum as I'm sure I will have plenty of queries on the way, and I'm sure there will be plenty of you who have seen it all before!
It's probably going to be a long term project that will have to fit in around paying work!
I also run an extremely modern S2 Elise at just 17 years old  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline BDA

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
 :Welcome: Broadside!

Several people on this forum are either in the midst of an S2 restoration or have finished one already. You're in good company here! We'd love to see pictures of your new baby! You might even want to start a thread about your restoration!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
 :Welcome: I am in the middle of a chassis replacement restoration of a 70 S2. This is an invaluable site. The knowledge base here is awesome. We love pictures. Good luck with your car.
Sandy

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
Ok, I'm much better with spanners than computers so I've attempted to resize the only couple of photo's I have so far, lets see if it works...........

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »
Pictures are great. What do you figure she needs? Is white the original colour? What is the serial number?

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
 :Welcome:
The Europa of course is the Godfather of your Elise :beerchug:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
Hi and  :Welcome: Graham,

That doesn't look a bad start to me, a couple of weekends and you'll be heading off to the country for picnics....

There's quite a few S2 owners on here so I'm sure you'll get plenty of help if you need something that's puzzling you, and we've all been there.  If you're not up to speed on the cars there's plenty of online info with links from this forum. There's also a traditional newsgroup on Yahoo which operates something called "knowledgebase" which is a database of their posts going back years, so most things have been covered at least once !

Brian

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »

Is most of the mechanical work done? - bodywork and interior left to do? - Just guessing from the pics?!

Jon

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Thanks all for your welcomes and comments. To answer your questions, its mechanically mostly restored, its mainly body and interior work that needs doing, probably needs the 'dry build' completing before removing body again for paint. It is Red (currently mostly in primer) s/n 1750.
Most the parts are there, many new old stock parts, I know I need a fuel tank, carpets and screen rubbers, and no doubt other bits and bobs but generally looks very complete.
I'm sure I could complete it fairly quickly if I could devote time to it but unfortunately I have to do the jobs that pay first, so it may have to sit for a while, but its a nice thing to have sat in the workshop and always a good talking point!

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 02:26:19 PM »

Is most of the mechanical work done? - bodywork and interior left to do? - Just guessing from the pics?!

Jon
You're pretty much spot on there Jon.
What series do you run your Europa in?

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »

Jon
You're pretty much spot on there Jon.
What series do you run your Europa in?

Not a serious amount left to do then really, obviously you will want to check over all that has already been done but there isn't a huge amount to them and I'm sure you have realised that they are pretty easy to work on. - keeping it standard?

I used to run in the BARC NW Sports and Saloons Championship (has had various sponsors over the years giving it different names!) which I think is currently called the 'CNC Heads Sports and Saloons Championship' - retired my Europa from racing a few years ago now and I put it back on the road this year (thread in members cars).

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
 :Welcome:  Broadside.

You came to the right place. From the looks of it you have a straight , semi complete car.
Bumpers, headlights, windows come with it? I really love the silencer extension.🤣 or did you just kick it in the garage?  What engine do you have? Carbs? Gearbox?
  Lotus-Europa.com / documents is an excellent place for information. Great reading of online parts and workshop manuals, and wiring schematics. You can also sign up and register your cars vin number.
 Enjoy yourself here and ask questions. They usually get answered quickly. I am doing one of those S2 frame off builds in the garage section. 0453R .😀. Post often, it’s your journey! You’ll enjoy reading it in the future.
Dakazman

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »

Hello Graham  :coolpic: 

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
Hi Graham,

Nice project. Thanks for sharing the pictures. The steel wheels look in great condition. Mine has stalled at the moment. My Elan required immediate attention and the summer has been busy at work. Back to it soon though.

Regards,

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 04:47:43 AM »
 :Welcome: Graham!
Good luck with your very fine looking S2. Very knowledgeable crew in this forum, very supportive and friendly. I've learned a lot in the 2 years I've been here.
 :beerchug:
Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery