Author Topic: New member  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: New member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 05:50:56 AM »
 :Welcome:

Great group of guys here. Couldn't have completed my 3 year restoration without them!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #16 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 08:37:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Graham. That looks like a fine project (and a couple cool Minis lurking in the background). You've found the right place to assist you with your restoration. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #17 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »
:Welcome:  Broadside.

You came to the right place. From the looks of it you have a straight , semi complete car.
Bumpers, headlights, windows come with it? I really love the silencer extension.🤣 or did you just kick it in the garage?  What engine do you have? Carbs? Gearbox?
  Lotus-Europa.com / documents is an excellent place for information. Great reading of online parts and workshop manuals, and wiring schematics. You can also sign up and register your cars vin number.
 Enjoy yourself here and ask questions. They usually get answered quickly. I am doing one of those S2 frame off builds in the garage section. 0453R .😀. Post often, it’s your journey! You’ll enjoy reading it in the future.
Dakazman
Hi Dakazman, its all standard, 1470 renault, but I do have Else manifolds with it and yes I also have the bumpers, lights, glass etc and its mostly new old stock or refurbished stuff, so a lot of the hard work has been done already.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 06:17:45 PM »
 Lol 
I like the sneaker in the exhaust.
It could be an optical illusion...
Dakazman

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #19 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
Just deleting emails and I found one from the previous owner of the chassis restoration work he'd done, photo's date from 2015 so its not so shiny now but I'm sure it will all clean up again  :)

Online BDA

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »
That looks like a great start! Very nicely done! Check the lower fulcrum pins in the front. It doesn't look like the nylon locking ring is engaged on the threads of the pin. If you don't have enough thread to fully engage the nylon (ideally there should be at least a couple of threads exposed), get some jet-nuts. They are all steel half height lock nuts that can be reused indefinitely. Jet nuts are also great for your exhaust manifold, too. You can usually get them art aircraft supply outlets like Aircraft Spruce (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/) but the only place I've seen that has them in 1/2" for your lower fulcrum pin is Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MS21042).

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »
Graham, great Chassis and motor. The first look at your picture of the front end I thought "OMG the steering is on the wrong side!" But then I saw that you are on the "Right" side of the pond. All good now.
Sandy

Online BDA

« Reply #22 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
Oops! Well, I made the assumption that you were on our side of the pond, Broadside. Sorry, but if you need jet nuts, you should be able to get them or their equivalent in Merry Ole England.

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #23 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
That looks like a great start! Very nicely done! Check the lower fulcrum pins in the front. It doesn't look like the nylon locking ring is engaged on the threads of the pin. If you don't have enough thread to fully engage the nylon (ideally there should be at least a couple of threads exposed), get some jet-nuts. They are all steel half height lock nuts that can be reused indefinitely. Jet nuts are also great for your exhaust manifold, too. You can usually get them art aircraft supply outlets like Aircraft Spruce (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/) but the only place I've seen that has them in 1/2" for your lower fulcrum pin is Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MS21042).
Well spotted!, I haven't even started to look round it yet. I will be going through the whole thing, I dont like those deep self locking flange nuts personally so they will be replaced with something more suitable. I may even treat it to some K nuts! (I build race cars for a living so I have access to proper imperial fasteners  :))

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #24 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
Graham, great Chassis and motor. The first look at your picture of the front end I thought "OMG the steering is on the wrong side!" But then I saw that you are on the "Right" side of the pond. All good now.
Sandy
I'm not sure we are the right side of the pond anymore!! any room over there??  :D

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #25 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 02:30:24 PM »
Tonnes of room here. How cold do you like it? Might be a little less confusing with me north of the 49th. :)
Sandy

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #26 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Probably only stunted together at the time the pic was taken but worth checking that the handbrake cable is through the other slot at the front of the chassis - in the pic it’s routed through the wrong one and hooked onto the translator which will make it rub on the chassis and not move smoothly.
Obviously, since that pic was taken the body has been put in place so the translator would have been removed to do that but if it’s been put back in place to retain the cable end from falling back inside the chassis then it’s worth checking?

Looks like someone has done a nice job so far though, look forwards to seeing it on the road!

Online BDA

« Reply #27 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »
I meant to say that the stainless transfer pipes are very cool!  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #28 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »
 Broadside, 
Nice starting point! Very nice roller . I’m jealous 😀😀 Thanks for the handbrake photo, I was wondering where it came up . Thanks  JR, for catching it and elaborating on the placement. It was on my to-do list, but reading the workshop manual gets boring when there are twenty other items to keep the build proceeding.
  Dakazman

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #29 on: Sunday,October 06, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
...I build race cars for a living ...

So, just another boring desk job?