Author Topic: New Member saying hello  (Read 531 times)

Offline ACW270

• Looking to upgrade!
New Member saying hello
« on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
 :newhere:  Dear All, I am a new member to the community and, as requested, I thought I would say hello.  I am based in the UK, near Cambridge and am not (yet) the owner of a Europa.  I do have a nice 1965 MG Midget, so small and light hold no worries for me, and am looking for something more modern for my next project - the first car I went 'WOW!' at as a child.  I have to say I am already impressed with the quality of expertise and information on this site, just what I was hoping for as I research the Europa. 

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: New Member saying hello
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
:newhere:  Dear All, I am a new member to the community and, as requested, I thought I would say hello.  I am based in the UK, near Cambridge and am not (yet) the owner of a Europa.  I do have a nice 1965 MG Midget, so small and light hold no worries for me, and am looking for something more modern for my next project - the first car I went 'WOW!' at as a child.  I have to say I am already impressed with the quality of expertise and information on this site, just what I was hoping for as I research the Europa.

If you want to see 7 Europas in various states of renovation, I am an hour up the road near Fakenham in Norfolk.

Regards,

Alex.  :Welcome:

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »
 :Welcome: ACW270!

That's an interesting bonnet on your Midget! Did you do it? It looks very nicely done! I can't wait for you to find your Europa. It looks like you might do some interesting things with it!

Offline ACW270

• Looking to upgrade!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »
Yes please!!  It was your email note about doing 14 door hinge pins that caused me to join the community.  I wondered why seven Europas, particularly as Australia beckons?  I know Fakenham well, as my wife used to work there while I was in the East Anglian Air Force.  When you have time, please drop me a line to karl.thompson616@gmail.com to make arrangements.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »
 :Welcome: ACW270! Good luck on your search.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »
 :Welcome: I had a 1973 Midget and it was a blast.  You are already used to manipulating a small sports car around so you will love a Europa.  Good luck on your quest.   

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
 :Welcome:
                 ACA270, any preference as to what model you may be drawn to?
Whatever model you choose, we’re always open!
Dakazman

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »

Hello ACW270, I think a trip to Alex's to see his collection would be a great idea!
(I wish I was nearer to Fakenham as I'd love to see them too!)
Mark

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
You have made a good choice. The Lotus Europa is one of the most cool driver experiences in the known universe. And, most of us are friendly folks that share the passion.
« Last Edit: Thursday,September 19, 2019, 07:29:41 AM by 1970EuropaGuy »

Offline ACW270

• Looking to upgrade!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 18, 2019, 02:02:18 AM »
Thank you to you all for your warm welcome. 

Firstly the Midget - I do all the work on her myself, including the 'Sebring' bonnet swap.  They were originally used for 1959 Austin Healey Sprite works cars and have been available ever since.  It is a relatively straight forward mod, as the original panels unbolt (I still have them) and the new nose hinge is mounted at the bumper iron mounts.  The whole nose is lighter, simpler and the access is exceptional, as I hope you can see in the photo.  The shell is the original one refurbished - although the PO's welding is at times rather agricultural - and she has a number of upgrades that allow her to cruise very happily on modern roads - stop/start to motorway speeds.  We use it for days out, the odd work trip and drive-ins have become part of our social life. 

Now to my Europa thoughts - I was first blown away by the Europa's dramatic looks as a child and the Chapman/Lotus story has always fascinated me, especially during Formula 1's heyday.  Does anyone else remember Hill v Stewart's light hearted season round up on BBC Sports Personality of the Year?

I am drawn to the early Europas (S1/S2) for a number of reasons, including the uncompromising aerodynamic styling, the selection of the Renault 16 engine and, of course, money.  My 'toy' car is a hobby that has constraints on funds and space.  I can afford time more easily than cash, so a beautifully sorted Banks T-47 replica will always be beyond my reach but I can rebuild/repair/re-energise a tired and unloved car, much as I have done with the Midget.  I'm not a stickler for originality and I'm not a good enough driver to use out-and-out performance but serviceability, drivability and the wow factor are central to my thoughts. 

I also have to consider the down side of any Lotus, from the perspective of serviceability, drivability and the wow factor.  Is it too highly strung for my limited skills?  Can I actually do the maintenance work, seemingly down the bottom of a wheely bin in comparison to my Midget?  Can I obtain and afford the parts?  This is where your experience and knowledge is so valuable.

Finally, as with all cars, I'm sure my decision will ultimately be heart before head - after all I drive an Audi S3 rather than an A3 as my day car!

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,September 18, 2019, 04:51:15 AM »
Hello again ACW270,

I have the same preference for the earlier cars (S1/S2) for their sleek shape, with the S2 being much easier to restore.
There are a wealth of engine modifications and swaps which owners have carried out on their Europas and, as you're not a stickler for originality, you could also upgrade some of the parts which have weaknesses too.

Good luck with your search!   

Mark

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 18, 2019, 09:30:48 AM »

I also have to consider the down side of any Lotus, from the perspective of serviceability, drivability and the wow factor.  Is it too highly strung for my limited skills?  Can I actually do the maintenance work, seemingly down the bottom of a wheely bin in comparison to my Midget?  Can I obtain and afford the parts?  This is where your experience and knowledge is so valuable.

:Welcome: Welcome to the forum ACW270. I think you'll be quite at happy in a Europa. For a vintage sports car of its status, rarity, intrigue, there is very little in terms of a 'down side'. I can't speak about the Renault engine, but the Twin Cam is quite liveable in daily use. Very tractable and easy to use, and I am sure the Renault is no different. In fact, almost tame when driven modestly. The cars are as complex as a Farmall tractor, so doing your own maintenance is no problem. In fact, people who insist upon doing their own maintenance tend to be draw to Lotus cars of this era due to their simplicity and accessibility. There is no shortage of quirks, but between the service manuals and this forum, there is nothing that can't be dealt with. Also, parts availability and affordability is very good, the advantage of a car that was created from the greater parts bin of British automobile manufacturing. There are a few things that are difficult to find, but 'work arounds' have been devised. These cars get slagged for reliability, but anything simple can be made reliable, and the Europas are no different. And whenever in doubt, the forum membership is eager to advise... for the small price of feeding us the occasional photo  ;)

Given your penchant for small sports cars, I think you'll find much to love about Europa ownership.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 18, 2019, 09:32:58 AM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 18, 2019, 11:00:44 PM »
Hi and a belated  :Welcome:

(snipped quote)
Is it too highly strung for my limited skills?

Not at all, by modern standards these are slow cars. A spotty yoof in a slammed GTwhatever is likely to out accelerate and corner you, but then again you'll probably have a higher level of self-preservation and common sense....       Being serious, these are a 1960s design and whilst they do handle well and you'll find a definite gap from your Midget (I used to have a 1960's Healey Sprite so know all about those lever arm dampers  ;)  ),  you're always aware that these look faster than they actually are.

This sounds like I'm trying to put you off, but I'm not. What you will gain is a big grin every time you drive it because, like your Midget, you have to consciously drive these cars and regardless of the speeds you'll love it.

(snipped quote)
Can I actually do the maintenance work, seemingly down the bottom of a wheely bin in comparison to my Midget?  Can I obtain and afford the parts?  This is where your experience and knowledge is so valuable.

Finally, as with all cars, I'm sure my decision will ultimately be heart before head - after all I drive an Audi S3 rather than an A3 as my day car!

Of course you can, Lotus cars of this period use simple mechanical parts, nothing you won't have seen before. I remember a discussion about the TC engine and me thinking how complex it was. The response has stayed with me - "if that was in a Ford Cortina (Lotus Cortina) then it'd do 100,000 miles with nothing more than oil changes. Why is your car any different ?" 

If you were thinking about a Renault 16 you'd not worry about maintenance and for pretty much any 1960s/70s car you'd not be concerned about the brakes/etc, and a Lotus is no different. In fact I'd say a Europa is pretty good compared with the period Elan, you can see pretty much everything in the engine bay.    If you can fit a Sebring front and balance those Skinners Union carbs,  then you can do it easily !

Brian

ps - having a leak-free reliable modern car is also part of the package. A mobile phone isn't a bad idea either.... :)