Author Topic: Hello new user with a few questions  (Read 3862 times)

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Hello new user with a few questions
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
IMHO depending on condition, $2800 for a TC is a decent deal.  I think the days of the cheap Europa are slowly coming to an end, most of the S2 projects I've seen lately start around $2k, sure you might find a complete basket case for less, but prices are starting to creep up.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 04:57:01 PM »
G’day jgaiti,

My philosophy is that you’ll likely spend the same amount of time and money replacing/repairing/refurbishing a poor example as a very poor one.

10K will buy a lot of stuff.
With that said, a TC engine can be expensive to rebuild and that alone could easily tip the balance.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 06:16:44 PM »
 Another factor to remember is the gearbox and the bell-housing.  It can be bolted up to a z-tec engine. There are many ways to rebuild an Europa. Your indefatigable persistence is what will make your dreams come true.
Dakazman

Online BDA

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
Good point D'man. Converting to Zetec is easier if you already have a TC bell housing. There are other issues that need to be addressed but I think the Zetec swap makes a lot of sense if originality is not important to you. You can get Zetec crate engines for a reasonable price - probably less than a TC rebuild. You have to choose between FI and Webers but that could be the fun part!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
Does either have a 5 speed?

Online BDA

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
That is an important point. A healthy 5-speed would be a really nice to have - especially for highway driving.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »
I don’t mind taking a year or two to build something. I’ve done that before. Building is half the fun for me. So the guy got back to me and 2800 is his number.
Hi, and another  :Welcome:

I think you've just bought yourself a year or two's entertainment  ;)

To be honest, I would go for the rebuild car unless the more expensive one drove extremely well, was in current usage and had a comforting folder full of bills for recent replacements. 

My logic is that I would want to renew or overhaul the brakes/steering immediately for peace of mind, so add that to the purchase price.  Suspension is everything on these cars so that would be next on the list before looking too hard at the engine/gearbox. On the Europa that means not only springs/dampers but I'd be looking at the rear driveshafts which usually means doing the bearings while it's in bits.  Parts wear on these cars much faster than modern ones and a below par Lotus might feel ok but you'll be missing out on the pleasure you could be getting from a properly set up car.

If you want something do drive this week and don't mind the rolling restoration approach then the $12k car has more appeal, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the eventual spares bill is the same for both cars over the next few years.

It sounds like you've got plenty of ability to sort out mechanics and if you're happy doing bodywork then there's only a couple of things I'd be concerned about between the cars.

Firstly, if these are 73's they most likely have the 5sp box. Parts for these are scarce in the UK at least so a bad box means either a long search or something like an NG3 replacement, which adds plenty to the bill.  The TC engines are reliable enough but expensive to overhaul although you can get all the parts or as others have said, a zetec conversion will be cheaper. Neither of these are deal breakers but could be big money items in parts bill terms and might slow you down a bit.

Let's know which one you go for and ask away once you get started....   remember it's better to ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake !

Brian

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 10:04:15 PM »
Hello Joe,

:Welcome:

Good luck with your project!

Mark

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 02:19:25 AM »
All sage advise from forum members. I’m on my fourth Lotus restoration in 5 years and will tell you to buy a car that has something on it that ISN’T in a state of disrepair.

What does that mean? Don’t buy a car that needs absolutely everything replaced, repaired, refinished or restored. If you do, absolutely everything you touch will have $$$ attached to it. And it gets expensive quickly. Guaranteed you will end up with a beautiful Lotus that has more money invested in it than it’s possibly worth. And all your labor will be free.

So, look for a car that either runs and can be driven while you do a rolling road restoration (preferred) or find a car that has a great body but needs mechanical work or a car that has a fantastic original interior and runs but needs body work. You get the idea. A complete basket case takes a lot of effort, time and money. And if you have never worked on a Lotus before the learning curve is steep.

One last comment, even a well restored Europa still requires work and constant fiddling. You could easily buy a nice car for $25K and have lots to do. Just sayin.......

:Welcome:

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #24 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I'm still waiting on a reply from the other car (12.5). And I will post detailed pictures of the one I acquire. Im looking forward to a project as I have been away from cars for a long time.

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #25 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 04:56:06 AM »
So the 12.5 guy got back to me. His lowest price is 8K.   https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2235235386552564/   The needed repairs off the top ,4 wheel brakes, interior, all weather stripes shot, windshield broken, 1/4 glass missing, sway bar anchors broken, hasn't run in atleast 10 years and pedal mounts broken(rotted) off floor.  That's the link to the add. What do ya'll think?
« Last Edit: Friday,July 19, 2019, 05:38:24 AM by jgaiti »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #26 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 06:26:25 AM »
The ad says "runs and is in good condition".  What you describe is not that at all.  You should have it carefully inspected first.

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #27 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »
Ofcourse I'd go back and check if the engine even turns. And as stated before itll probably need suspension work due to sitting. He was smart enough to drain all the fuel out. I know theres quite a bit wrong with it just to make it a runner. That's why Im here. I don't know the market on these as in resale. When they do come up it seams they sit awhile, as in a small demographic are even interested. Dad always told me to consider you're resale when buying a project.To me 8k seams high without hearing the engine run.  Some people think they have gold

Online BDA

« Reply #28 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 06:41:11 AM »
$8000 is a lot more reasonable. I think it is worth an hour and a half drive to take a look at it. It's a bit worrying that roll bar links are broken because I wonder if there is other damage you can't see. JB is right. There is no way that car runs.

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #29 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 06:54:12 AM »
BDA I have looked at it and its rough! Paint is shot along with the other damage I have noted. sway bar broke due to hitting a "speed bump" supposedly. And it was quite obvious that it hadn't run in years.

This is the other one.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1964173393710278/   

My thought as mentioned before is I could probably make the brown one a driver quicker. Where as the other is well more obvious what needs to be done...….LOL

BTW I was hesitant on posting links. Ive had people buy vehicles out from under me before.
« Last Edit: Friday,July 19, 2019, 06:58:18 AM by jgaiti »