Author Topic: Hello new user with a few questions  (Read 3858 times)

Offline jgaiti

Hello new user with a few questions
« on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
Hello names Joe. Short story my dad had a 68 years ago and now I find myself wanting one. Currently I'm looking at 2 Europa's both 73's. one of which needs a frame off resto. it has what appears to be dealer installed ac Also needs a new dash being the owner rigged up a sorry looking aluminum dash for it, and the floor pan behind the drivers seat needs fiber glass work. I can probably score it for 2k. The other is just the run of the mill Europa needs interior work and some mechanical repairs on suspension and a windscreen.Guys asking 12.5 for it. I know this is a hard question to ask, but with the limited info which would be the best choice.  Thanks for any advice. 
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 09:54:13 AM by jgaiti »

Offline dakazman

Re: Hello new user with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
 :Welcome:
Joe,
  A link to the seller with some pictures would help. You can also post pictures here but keep the size below 1mb. There is a how to on the welcome page.
Good luck on your selection and welcome
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 10:13:36 AM »
Body work is very time consuming and expensive to do right.  If the 12.5 car has a good body, that’s the one I would choose.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Expect a proper professional paint job to cost around $10,000. That includes stripping all paint.

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »
They both need paint and interior work. Neither have run in many years (white one 20 yrs brown 10yrs). I can do body work as well as mechanical work. Im some what leaning to the white one due to it having ac. Not sure how rare that is.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 10:54:14 AM »
 :Welcome: jgaiti

Taking just your description, the one to choose depends on how much work you're willing to do and how anal you are about it. For example, if you want to make sure, for example, your frame is good, your transfer tubes are in good shape, your motor is the best it can be, etc. and will be for a long time, it might make sense to do the ground up resto since you would have more control and you'll know what you have when you're done. Taking the "run of the mill" car will almost certainly be quicker to get on the road. I would not be shy about doing fiberglass work. I did a lot on my car and I didn't find it that difficult. Paying someone else to do it is probably another matter though. That goes for everything. A Europa is a pretty simple car and if you're interested and have some mechanical aptitude, you can save a lot of money (and eat up a lot of time) if you do your own work. Getting someone else to do a frame off resto would be outrageously expensive. Thinking about it, I think the fact that you asked the question might mean that you might be more comfortable with the "run of the mill" car that you can drive soon with a minimum of wrenching on your part.

Having said that, I think the D'man is right. The links to the cars would be helpful. Let us know what you do and POST PICTURES!!  :)

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
BDA I did post pictures. Ive been building Motorcycles for awhile now. Plus Ive been a gas and diesel tech for over 30 years. Working on everything from a VW to a Peterbilt. So im comfortable with wrenching. Just trying to get opinions and maybe some more insight as I was very young when my dad had his so I didn't get to wrench on it.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
Expect everything rubber to need replacing.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
Yeah, I saw those pictures but there isn't much detail in them but your description is probably enough to make a quick judgement. Since you're not intimidated by doing the wrenching, the cost may be an issue you want to explore. Given that you want a Europa at a level higher than the $12,500 car, I think it would be less expensive to get there starting with that car than the basket case. There are a lot of variables, of course - the relative condition of the frames, motors, and trannies are the biggest.

I just saw 4129R's post which reminds me that the history of the $12.5K car matters because if it's been sitting (especially outdoors) extended periods of time, not only the rubber but likely all brakes will have to be gone through and replacing a lot of that will add a lot of piece of mind.

Offline Nero

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
Even the more expensive one could end up as a basket case. I would go with the cheaper one as pretty much all the parts are available accept the ashtray but the white one still has it so you are good. :))

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
The 12.5 car has been sitting outdoors for atleast 10years. All the rubber is shot along with the interior. Plus the windshield being cracked, aren't they hard to get? Now the white one has been in a garage for it entire resting period. The rubber on that one is still pliable and the undercarriage looks decent. The mice ate the seats LOL. Hopefully not the harness. Well I offered the guy with the white one 1500. Figure if its too far gone its worth atleast that much in parts?

Offline Nero

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 12:45:57 PM »
Wiring is not that complicated and again even the harness is available new and not really expensive. When you do a ground up resto I would change the wiring just to be safe. 1500 seems good for the car.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »
Hi jgaiti, and  :Welcome:

Given the specs for what kind of Europa you are looking for, have you considered this one (See classified ad below, from Lotus Owners car club president no less.)

I have never seen this car and have no relationship with the seller, just saw the ad this morning and then saw your post.

Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Clifton

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
I didn't read all the posts but it's not the can do, have money but want to do and have too much time. Frame off is a lot of time and work.  Do you have a lot of free time for the next few years?

If you need/want a/c, a Vintage Air Gen II mini will fit under the dash and work better than whatever was put in there in the 70's. I can give details if you want when you get there.

Offline jgaiti

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 03:24:29 PM »
I don’t mind taking a year or two to build something. I’ve done that before. Building is half the fun for me. So the guy got back to me and 2800 is his number.