Author Topic: New Europa owner  (Read 806 times)

Offline klork

New Europa owner
« on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
I just picked up a 1970 S2 Europa that is mostly complete.  I am missing the steering column and probably some small parts but pretty much everything else is there.  I was at a car show on fathers day at the Toledo Museum of Art talking to a guy with a really nice 1958 Elite when a lady came and asked him if he was interested in a Europa project.  He told her that he was not but I mentioned that I may be so I gave her my number.  About a week later I got a call from her husband about the car and we arranged a time for me to come look at the car.  The car was in 2 separate locations.  The interior, wheels, rear suspension, engine and trans was at his house and the frame and body was in a barn about 45 minutes away.  The car has been off the road since 1976 when the frame cracked.  He had the frame repaired but I guess part of it was welded incorrectly.  He ended up buying a spyder frame for it but never got around to finishing the car.  He gave me a price of 2k for everything which seemed like a good price to me since I am not really informed on the prices of these.  I went and picked up the car last Tuesday. 

I plan on starting on this car in 1 or 2 years after I finish my other car with a lotus designed engine.  I am swapping a 1990 corvette ZR1 all aluminum DOHC engine and 6 spd into a 1990 Volvo 740 wagon.  In the meantime I am doing some research on what I want to do with the car and am leaning towards a VW 3.2 VR6 24v engine and transaxle from an Audi.  From what I can find the VR6 is only about 1 inch longer then the stock Renault 1.6 so I think it will fit but I need to actually measure one of these engine before I make a decision.  I know I will not be able to use the stock rear suspension with the Audi trans and was looking at the spyder rear suspension and got a bit of sticker shock for what you get.

The car came with some cool looking early 70's aluminum wheels and a weber conversion kit with carb, intake and exhaust manifold and muffler.  Was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this setup would be worth as I am probably not going to use the stock engine.  I am told the Intake was made by an Italian company called Com-Tech.

Offline dakazman

Re: New Europa owner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum klork  :Welcome:

I would definitely be interested in the exhaust and intake along with the Weber.

I also am building a 1970 S2 and any other engine parts would be helpful.
What serial number do you have ?  I have 0453 with a Renault federal engine.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 12:11:58 PM by dakazman »

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
 :Welcome: Greetings from another relative newbie and 1970 S2 Owner! In my opinion this is a great forum. Lots of fabulous owners willing to help. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Sandy

Offline klork

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
I want to get an idea of what the weber and exhaust setup is worth before I unload it.  From my understanding is this is a rather rare part for the Renault engine?

Anyway here are some pics from my current lotus engine powered project that needs to get done before I get to the Europa.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »
 :Welcome: Klork! That ZR-1 powered station wagon is surely an interesting project!

The Europa with a Spyder frame is going to be good too! The frame makes a great foundation. Since you're interested in engine swaps, you might want to know that the Zetec swap is probably the most popular. It has good bang for the buck and mating to the tranny is a bit easier when you have a TC bell housing.

Of course there are lots of creative Europa owners so there are several engine swaps that have been done and since you don't appear to be intimidated very easily, your V6 swap should be a nice challenge!

When you get started, let us know how things progress and post lots of pictures!

Offline klork

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »
I have looked into the zetec swap and thought about it since it fits easily and light weight but the vr6 sounds really good and bolts to an audi transaxle that should be able to be made to work.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 04:17:10 PM »
 :Welcome: Great to know another Europa is coming back to the fold!  :pirate:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »
That version of intake manifold is meant for the 1470 engines with the Siamesed intake ports.  Weber intakes for the 1565 have separate intake runners.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks JB,
Dakazman

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
Klork, please keep me in mind when you get an idea of what you want for the intake/exhaust system.
Thanks Sandy

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum, klork. Those are some very interesting projects you've got going there. The alloy wheels on the Lotus are very interesting. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
 :Welcome: klork!

I want to get an idea of what the weber and exhaust setup is worth before I unload it.  From my understanding is this is a rather rare part for the Renault engine?

Anyway here are some pics from my current lotus engine powered project that needs to get done before I get to the Europa.

Looks like you are building a Volvette!

Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline klork

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum, klork. Those are some very interesting projects you've got going there. The alloy wheels on the Lotus are very interesting. Cheers  :beerchug:

I like the wheels too bad they are 13's and I will probably upgrade to 15's.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
That version of intake manifold is meant for the 1470 engines with the Siamesed intake ports.  Weber intakes for the 1565 have separate intake runners.

This is news to me but then I'm relatively new to the S2s but I have never seen aftermarket intake manifolds having individual runners for each port. Both of the Hermes manifolds that I have seen have two open runners, no separation for the individual ports in the runners. I can double check but I believe my Else copy intake manifold on my S2 has open runners too. I know a S2 owner who has a Warneford manifold and will ask him how his manifold is configured. By the way, he got his NOS, brand new, never used Warneford off of ebay for $350 for reference pricing.

Joji Tokumoto
FAllbrook, Ca