Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 939 times)

Offline Rainer

Introduction
« on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Hello,

Finally registered after reading here for some time.
I am from germany and after being  primary a ford guy, (there are five from 65 to 96) it happened about two years ago, by doing work on a customer's elite, that lotus came back into my view, especially the europa.
Funny sidenote i later discovered the same customer owns a s2 and this chassis is now in the workshop for getting a zetec transplant.

One and a half year ago i started my search for a type 46, the early light simplistic cars are my favourites.
So it finally happened 460489 arrived a few weeks ago. Condition is pretty bad, but that is exactly what i was looking for. I think i even got a bit of luck, a crossflow conversion was planned and the car came with a 841 engine and 395 gearbox, plus spare block and head. Seems some one started the conversion but never finished it.

Restoration will start later this year, i have to finish a few repairs on my capri first.
In the meantime i am already doing smaller things, sourcing parts, building new side windows, getting seat cushions done etc.

Regards Rainer
« Last Edit: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 09:07:46 AM by Rainer »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »
Hi Rainer and  :Welcome:

Wow that's some project you have there, I think you'll need more than polish to sort out that front wing !   :)

No matter how rough it looks, it's only fibreglass and with new sections and even shells available, anything is possible. As you'll probably know there are several on here with similar age cars and most are documented in various threads or videos so you've got a starter for future references.

I'll look forward to more photos once you get it off that trailer...... 

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 09:28:04 AM »
 :Welcome: Rainer!!!

I think Brian is right. You're probably not going to be able to buff that out!  :FUNNY:

It sounds like you have a great project. I can't wait to hear about your progress! Post often and with lots of pictures!  :)

If you run into problems or have questions, we're happy to try and help you out.

Good luck!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »
 :Welcome: Rainer!

There is a thread in the forum following the auction and sale of your car. We couldn't help but notice there was a biohazard sticker on the windshield at some point.

I agree the type 47s are the nicest looking Europas. (Mine is a type 74, so I'm not biased.) We look forward to following your restoration. And don't forget...
 :ttiwwp:

Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 09:32:06 AM »
 :Welcome:

Rainer.

Glad you picked up your dream! That’s a serious undertaking. Setting your priorities is a must as well acquiring parts and storage bins and plenty of parts tags. Take lots of pictures.

Dakazman

Offline aspares

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
Hello Rainer, thats a big project but sounds like you have done this before. I also just purchased a Europa and would love to have your wheels, are they original to the car do you know?? If anyone knows what they are I would like know as I am new to Europas as well

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »
Everybody has a dream, what is important is to realize it. Congratulations on your new Europa project!

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 05:27:57 AM »
Hallo Rainer,

so you are the brave hearted man who took on the challenge of that auctioned S1A. That looks like a proper project but I assume you know what you are doing. What happened to the front left corner of the car, has it been damaged during transport?

By the way I'm from Germany too and live near Köln just about 80km away from you. As I'm owning an Europa S1 and have owned and S1A before you may contact me so we can share some information and tips.

I wish you all the best with your project and keep us updated.

Klaus

Offline Rainer

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
Thanks for the nice welcome,

The biohazard sticker was removed even before shipping, guess it has been there because of some mice leftovers.
The damage happened at the auctioneers place, but all pieces are in the car.
I am looking forward to work with glasfiber again, last time was on my Capri 20 years ago, i like the material, besides the itch.
The wheels are Cosmic MK.1 i borrowed them for transport, the car came on its original steel wheels, but the tyres where completely disintegrated.
Klaus its good to know there is an S1 nearby, i think i will have lots of question when it comes to details.

I will start a new thread as soon as i have good pictures.

So far i cleaned out the interior, 2 big bags of foam parts, earth and mud.
New side windows are done from 4mm Plexiglas.
And i did a testprint of the heater fan, mine have been eaten by mice.

Rainer

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »
Nicely done.  How is the chassis?

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #10 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
 :Welcome:Rainer, you have a big project coming up. It's always good to see a car rescued.
Have fun!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
Another  :Welcome:, always nice to know the fate of an auctioned car. You are a brave man, good luck with the project from another S1A owner.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 10:50:57 PM »
Hello Rainer,

:Welcome:

what a great project!

:lotus:

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #13 on: Monday,July 08, 2019, 08:48:11 AM »
Hello Rainer, and welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to watching your project come together. Good luck, and have fun. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #14 on: Monday,July 08, 2019, 11:38:53 PM »
Good Luck - more photos are always welcome...

Steve