Author Topic: Collier’s Travels  (Read 2017 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Collier’s Travels
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,July 06, 2019, 10:01:24 PM »
Arrived at our destination on the Island, Port Alberni.  Just a few miles out of town, the sky lightened — it’s been raining the whole way — and the sun came out.  Beautiful town: low key, blue collar town with very friendly inhabitants.

Europa has been run at 4000 rpm for 1400 kilometres, gotten between 28 (climbing STEEP passes) and 34 mpg (imperial, 8.5l/100km) and used a litre of oil.  All good.

Only outstanding issue is that my once dry windshield now leaks due to vibration.

PS: Pulled every pass bar one in 5th.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 05:00:09 AM »
I just returned last week from my wife’s family reunion across the Salish Sea from you on the Olympic Peninsula. All I could think of while driving my sad, vanilla rental car through those twisty mountain roads was man, I wish I had the Europa here. Sounds like a great trip JB, enjoy.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BobW

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
The road from Port Alberni to the Island's west coast is one of the best sports car roads in BC.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »
Yup, busy in the summer though.  Fortunately I managed to luck into some lengthy gaps in traffic.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #19 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
Enjoy your trip, you're in sports car country. Getting stuck behind big RV's is a drag.

Are you coming south on the island? Would love to see your car (and of course meet you!) if you have the chance.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #20 on: Monday,July 08, 2019, 09:27:19 PM »
On the brake front, I’ve ordered some Mintex 1144 brake pads.  They are supposed to be much messier as well as much more heat tolerant.  Again, will report back on how they perform.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 12:34:08 AM »
On the brake front, I’ve ordered some Mintex 1144 brake pads.  They are supposed to be much messier as well as much more heat tolerant.  Again, will report back on how they perform.
Slightly off topic, but I've been converted to 1144's as well, in fact I have them on the front of all 3 Lotus's these days.  I find they have a good bite without servo assistance, don't squeal like some and aren't that bad with dust. Although if I'm honest I don't get wound up about brake dust as long as they're working !   ;)
Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 10:30:42 PM »
Off the Island now.  Ran through Vancouver to Hope in heavy traffic — not that it matters as the road is straight.  I then turned onto Hwy 3 and traffic disappeared.  WTHeck?  Middle of the summer holidays and there is no one on the road? (Not literally no one but few and far between was the order of the day).  We proceeded at a positively criminal rate of knots and had an absolute blast.  Especially through the delightfully curvy road between Hope and Princeton.  Overnighting in Osoyoos capping the day with a beautiful lake swim and a simply stunning meal at an aboriginal restaurant (rabbit/juniper pasta with bison pemmican, saskatoons and cream mixture for dessert).

Hot with it uncomfortably into the 30s had the AC on and working well.  Two minor issues being that I need an AC idle solenoid and a way of stopping heat/defrost air flow when the AC is on.  It all worked very well but those two mods would make it even better.

The AC knocks a bit off the available performance.  Not much though.  It really affects the idle and low range.  Doesn’t pull from quite as low down when on the hills.  A happy trade off for keeping one’s cool.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 10:32:53 PM by jbcollier »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »
Two more fantastic days!

#%€£&$ !!  I love this car.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #24 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 05:58:23 PM »
Makes me smile when your that enthusiastic about your Europa.  :trophy:

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #25 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
Makes me smile when your that enthusiastic about your Europa.  :trophy:

SAME!! I live vicariously through you...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #26 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 07:29:44 PM »
Home again.  Last days were following my well worn route from Nelson back to home in Edmonton.  Always a beautiful drive though not as many corners as I would like, especially the last bit on the prairies.  3000 klicks and now it is time for a major service and a few fixes and adjustments before the next major trip!

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #27 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
Great to hear about your journey.  Makes me want to get my car to the point where I can actually go somewhere with it.

At times I've gone places under sail, and even if you're only going 6 knots, after 8 or 10 hours the scenery is different and you've really gone somewhere.  Even more so when you're going for several days continuously.  Day becomes night, and night gives way to day, and you're in a completely different place.  When it starts to blow and you're going 8 knots or better it feels like you're going 90 in a car!

Back to the car, I have quite a bit to do before I'm confident in the condition to the point that I could take a long trip.  Lots to check out on mine, and I see some suspicious things without even making a serious survey.  It's impressive what you've done with that car!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #28 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 04:38:11 AM »
Just to echo others, JB, your travels are an inspiration. I'll try to convince the missus to a 2 day New Hampshire drive this fall. I confess I scoffed a little at the thought of you putting A/C in your Europa, but driving around this summer sweating buckets has convinced me you are on the right track.

At times I've gone places under sail, and even if you're only going 6 knots, after 8 or 10 hours the scenery is different and you've really gone somewhere.  Even more so when you're going for several days continuously.  Day becomes night, and night gives way to day, and you're in a completely different place.  When it starts to blow and you're going 8 knots or better it feels like you're going 90 in a car!

Fotog, is that a J-105 in your profile pic? I race on one here in Marblehead. We also have a Cal 40 that we race a little and cruise a lot, mostly to Maine. I can totally relate to 8 kts sailing = 90 mph in your car.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #29 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
Quote:  is that a J-105 in your profile pic?

No; a J/24.  Raced it in Annapolis for 13 years.  One of the major distractions from the Lotus sitting in the garage for many years.  Too much driving!  Should have moved there in '98.  Marblehead a cool place.  I did some sort of Etchells championship there in the mid-80's.

Not meaning to hijack...  Just that John's posts remind me of my own experiences enjoying unconventional travel.
Vince

P. S.  How does one quote part of a previous post as you did?