Author Topic: Removing the molding flange  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Removing the molding flange
« on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
Has anyone ground off the molding flange on the bottom of the car? Twin cam and S2 have this feature, S1 did not. I think it looks better without it (though you can't really see it), and it probably has aerodynamic benefit to remove it. What do you guys think? Worth the trouble?

PS I worked on the car for the first time in over 4 years today...
« Last Edit: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:11:10 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Online BDA

Re: Removing the molding flange
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
I'm really glad you're finally able to work on your baby!

I like the panels under the doors between the wheel wells that are on the TCS. I don't know if they can still be found though.

Actually, it looks like Richard sells them.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:19:58 PM by BDA »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:17:33 PM »
I like the panels under the doors between the wheel wells that are on the TCS.

Yes! I am talking about that 3/4" lip that is seen where the bottom mold of the body is joined to the upper mold. It runs around the bottom of the car.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
I'm really glad you're finally able to work on your baby!

It feels like it has been forever!!!!!!!!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
 Congrats on getting back into it.🍾
That’s way low if your talking about that 1/2” lip that’s mostly cracked of on many car anyway. I  left the lip in place only because it was all intact. It joins the panels together in and probably increase the strength and decrease flexibility in a good way.  I would leave it .
Dakazman

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »
I like the panels under the doors between the wheel wells that are on the TCS.

Yes! I am talking about that 3/4" lip that is seen where the bottom mold of the body is joined to the upper mold. It runs around the bottom of the car.

If I understand what you're talking about, the "sill covers", as Richard calls them, covers that lip. I don't think I've seen an S2 with them but I've always liked them.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 07:26:43 PM by BDA »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 09:04:30 PM »
Congrats on getting back into it.🍾
That’s way low if your talking about that 1/2” lip that’s mostly cracked of on many car anyway. I  left the lip in place only because it was all intact. It joins the panels together in and probably increase the strength and decrease flexibility in a good way.  I would leave it .
Dakazman

I agree about adding stiffness, you are right there. I kind of forgot where I left off when I was last at it... Now I am having to work through these little details before I get the car ready for paint. I am glad I painted the truck between then and now. I was tackling body repairs on the Lotus the hard way back then because I didn't know any better. I still don't know much, but I have a Dynabrade sander now...It is miles better than the electric Dewalt that I was using on the Lotus before. Looking forward to getting back in to this project!! Finally!!

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 04:31:00 AM »
Not sure how practical it would be to remove tbh? - Isn't it used to rivet/bond the inner and outer shell mouldings together on the S2 and TC? - Also, from memory, the outer seatbelt anchor plates are sandwiched between the inner and outer mouldings and held in place by the same rivets so replacing those at any point would be quite difficult if you glassed the two mouldings together (which i'm guessing you would do if you removed the flange/lip?).

I'd expect it to take a fair amount of work to get the same look as the S1 has because the outer shell doesn't line up with the floor level of the inner in the same way as the S1(hence the flange and sill covers).

I do understand where you are coming from though as the S1 looks a lot neater in that area!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 04:40:01 AM »
Chuck, glad you are finding the time to work on your Europa. I think there is some confusion about the moulding flanges you are thinking of removing. Could you please get a picture of the areas you are talking about?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 04:44:15 AM »
I just replaced a number of rivets on my 72TC. There would be no way I would shorten this part of the panel as it is for strengthening the entire body to the interior tub. I imagine rivets were used instead of glue as it would tolerate flexing a lot more. But it’s your car and can do what ever you want.

Congrats getting back in the game!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 06:07:03 AM »
In period, the flange was painted black:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-hbQm3xw/A

Looks much better that way.

I agree that removing it is not such a good idea.  It could be done but will require a fair amount of work and re-engineering of the seatbelt anchors.

You could also fit TC/S sill covers.  Probably not a straight bolt-on but mods shouldn't be too extensive.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
I circled the spots in red. I believe this is a vestigial part of the mfg process. To clarify by molding I am referring to the actual mold used to make the body. I believe this seam is where the bottom body mold was joined to the top. I am not talking about anything on the side of the car. I was curious if anyone has ground these smooth to reduce drag under the car. It is probably a negligible benefit, but if there was ever a time to do it....

JB I agree, for S2 painting it black is the way to go.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 08:46:27 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 09:01:03 AM »
Thanks Chuck, I thought that's what you were talking about. Mine are broken and chipped. I think they could be removed and a layer of fiberglass added for stiffening and then smoothed.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »
 Yep that’s the one ! Or two. I repaired mine and left them alone.
Dakazman

Offline Clifton

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »
Hi Chuck,

It looks like you are using cloth. For what it's worth, it may/will print through. You may not notice right away but after it's painted it often shows. .