Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 199475 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #2325 on: Monday,September 02, 2024, 11:01:10 AM »
  Cleared the gates into the steel plate. It’s amazing to see the gearboxes pattern throw, you would think it it’s much longer and wider  than this . I still have some fileing to do  and then I’ll install it on my spare gearbox to check if the gates are the same . If so I’ll adjust the linkage to make the
Tighter.
  Found reverse and all four gears on my test ride. The amazing thing was that I got her to start without starting fluid. Simply by just pulling the choke out and a few pumps on the accelerator.
   On the ride I tested the brakes. I’m not crazy about these brakes, so that will be another day.
 I just wanted to drive a bit and so I shut it off and took a few pics then started again easily for the drive back into the garage.
  Third gear had a little grinding on the center rod end again, so I’ll trim down something else .
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Monday,September 02, 2024, 11:05:46 AM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2326 on: Tuesday,September 03, 2024, 02:22:15 PM »
  I took it for a 5-mile journey, all good until I got home to find my crankshaft pully gone and a trail of oil in driveway.  I have a spare but need to shave it down. when installing, Ill add some thread locker to the retaining nut. One good thing is after the ride, I heard my radiator fan come on after the car was shut off, it was just a backup if i forgot to turn the fan switch .
  Shifter is now consistently finding the right gear, so it will be a good test of the guide bracket I made.
  I'll be pulling this gearbox next to install my original one. The reason is I believe the bell housing seal is leaking. Then in my spare time I'll try to finish up some interior concerns , and charge the AC system. Before that I'll have to wire up a Low-pressure switch to activate the compressor.
  Engine now starting cold with the choke. I have alot to learn about Weber carbs, Sorry China knockoffs.
  Dakazman 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2327 on: Thursday,September 05, 2024, 04:56:06 AM »
  I need a little help
  After closing up the gearbox with the differential unit in place, rear cover attempted t  on adjust the lash. Problem is it doesn’t seem to mesh correctly and I can’t seem to adjust it .
Do I have to open it up again?
  I did not replace these two bearings but noticed the races move in case . Which I thought is normal to set center. When turning it feels a bit ratchity at times. Even with the case nuts loose I cannot get it to mesh .

Dakazman
« Last Edit: Thursday,September 05, 2024, 05:08:40 AM by dakazman »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2328 on: Thursday,September 05, 2024, 06:25:15 AM »
Hard to quite understand the issue working over the phone, so to speak.

The tapered roller bearings locate the ring gear precisely.  If the bearings are loose, then the ring gear can flop around and be very difficult to “mesh”.  Turn the transaxle sideways so the ring gear assembly can drop squarely into the tapered roller bearing.  Then wind in the nut to “lift” the ring gear into place.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2329 on: Thursday,September 05, 2024, 10:08:20 AM »
  That makes sense. I'm trying to do it in the horizontal plane.  Thanks much JB.
    I just have too unsecure it.  The wheel side nut is sticking out of the case when it should be flush, so it doesn't have to move alot.
Dave

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2330 on: Thursday,September 05, 2024, 04:40:51 PM »
  I think it work after the um-teenth time. I think the ring side bearing race was cocked sideways slightly.  I used some Prussian blue but I used the non drying type , it just made as mess and I didn’t accomplish the task. Tomorrow.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2331 on: Sunday,September 08, 2024, 02:21:19 PM »
   I just couldn't make the outer race budge. Opened the gearbox and tapped it out gently, Thanks JB for mentioning the cases are very brittle, so easy does it and out it came. Waiting on two new bearings from 123 bearing for the differential.  I pulled off the old ones all ready and waiting for a delivery. 
 Brake pedal test is much better as was the gear selection, but can still do better.  Oil from gearbox still leaks from bell housing so getting the other gearbox done is paramount.
  Then my daughter all most shows up with her broken car.  another diversion. :headbanger:
 Dakazman 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2332 on: Sunday,September 15, 2024, 09:22:27 AM »
   I'm back from my diversion.
         :headbanger:, smoke coming from engine and check engine light on and dinging, SHUT IT OFF.  :deadhorse:
  Enough said, moving on. KIDS.

Update: gearbox bearings for differential on their way from 123bearing!  :)  On my spare gearbox in the car shifter adjusted and can get all 4 gears and rev without much hunting. Thinking about checking my gate assembly on it, for function and commonality. Then down to the last 3 or 4 wires to hide .

I then went back to the lotus and re-did a few items for aesthetics and function. I'll paint this lower close-out panel but could have saved a bunch of time covering it. Weather to break this week, good enough to paint without much trouble. 

Another small job will be to lower the muffler/ bracket due to the wrap lifted the luggage tray up slightly.
 Details ,details ,details.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I ordered a cheap backup camera for testing.
  Dakazman 
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 15, 2024, 09:28:42 AM by dakazman »

Offline BDA

« Reply #2333 on: Sunday,September 15, 2024, 10:44:31 AM »
I like your idea of a closeout panel under the dash. I've thought of doing something similar.

I have a backup camera with a radio that has a small screen (I'm constantly looking for a more modern single DIN radio with Bluetooth and a backup camera support but it seems the big manufacturers aren't interested). It's supposed to have a 170° field of view but it is not nearly as good as the one on my 2016 CR-V. Still, it is nice to have.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2334 on: Sunday,September 15, 2024, 02:35:51 PM »
  I know it's not adding lightness but it does block anyone from pulling on wires. I'll make up for it somewhere else.

BDA, I have no radio, WTS my iPhone will be the go-to entertainment center. I have a spare 10x not being used and I hope to have it blend into future mods.  Pertronics come to mind and other modern advancements.
 My next big project will be to wire up the A/C system. Pfreen guided me to his systems wiring and I know I have some other issues to work out with pulley size and actuation. Staying positive I'm going to charge the system manually, and get the condenser fan to come on, all at the same time the compressor is coming online.
 Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2335 on: Monday,September 16, 2024, 05:02:54 PM »
 A little progress today installing a IPhone mount for my so to get back-up camera and an entertainment center. Can’t wait for the cameral.  The mount was from an old selfie camera stick that I found laying around in a closet.
 Then I received an education in Bearing numbers for the gearbox differential. Who would think the same number on the races would have two different ID’s .  30207 was on both races and so I only measured one side of the differential… mistake  the two sides are different, one side a 35 and one a  37mm ID .  I ordered the 35 mm, two of them .. mistake 2 . So tomorrow is another day,  do I order the 37 mm at 266$ or install the old one with a new external race???  I did find one for 64$ but then another wait . I have another option, we have a local bearing shop I’ll check with, fingers crossed.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #2336 on: Monday,September 16, 2024, 05:44:55 PM »
Interesting i-Phone mount!

Interestingly, your diff and my NG3 diff have the same bearings. One side's bearings have a smaller ID otherwise they are the same. I thought I had thought of a reason for the different bearings but I can't think of it now. I would get new bearings. They are things that when you see them, you should change them because it is so painful to replace them! I don't think they are anything special so you should probably be able to get them locally or at worst from a place like r.d.. Be sure you refer to the dimensions of the bearing if you get them from a bearing supply house in case there are differences in bearing numbers (ID 37mm, OD 72mm, thickness 18.25mm). Looking at the 123bearing page for those bearings, the prices vary a lot! I have no idea what accounts for the huge price differences.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2337 on: Monday,September 16, 2024, 06:49:09 PM »
  Here’s a few more pics of the mount , remember I mounted the mirror to the roof after glassing in a wood block .
 Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2338 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2024, 04:43:32 PM »
  I couldn’t take it anymore. Trying to find a 37 mm 30207 bearing is just about NLA, at least in the USA. So I took the 30207 35 mm outer race and swapped it out with the outer race of the 37mm 30207. The diameters and bearing cut are the same per a shop here.
  Now I’m up to setting the lash , wow what a difference all ready. Spinning much quieter with less drag than I’ve seen with on two units.
  The tube of gear compound I purchased would not come out of the tube it came it so tomorrow is another day yet again.
  Dakazman

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2339 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2024, 05:47:55 PM »
What’s gear compound for?