Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 201204 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #2220 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2024, 05:17:30 PM »
   After gaining some courage to go for a ride , thinking I’ll make a video 😂😂😂 that went south fast. I tried to just pump the gas pedal and crank it over and get it to start, but noticed I didn’t hook up the choke cable at carb . Lost the lock screw also… so I sprayed some starting fluid onto carb filter and it started. I couldn’t get it to idle that well and played with moving distributor slightly clockwise and cow. Finally found a good idle then I went for reverse , no joy . Tightened some of the bolts on the gearbox and with engine off  I got  confirmation of shifter going in gear   At least forward and aft.  So I jumped in started her up and backed out of garage  SLOWLY, not actually using the brakes and trying to keep engine running. Then tried to get first , no joy just grinding.
 So I put it in second and down the driveway I went . I few laps around the circle in front of my house I went down the road. Then turned down the next road watching the speedometer which does work, showing 15 mph and getting a slight wave in front end , up and down motion in tune with the tires diameter. Just something to consider when driving faster later . Then I tried to brake without driving shoes, so a bit clumsy but brake was lower than I like but very much hard and useful. After a short 360 I went back towards my home but said I going around the smaller oval block. 😀 made it easily staying in second the entire ride and made it home.
  Wow , I have some work ahead for me but enjoyed every loud minute of it . Maybe some video next time or so.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #2221 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2024, 06:04:47 PM »
Congratulations on your first ride! :beerchug:

I can’t wait for the video!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2222 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 03:33:53 AM »
 :trophy:
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2223 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 04:23:55 AM »
Excellent!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2224 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 08:28:01 AM »
 :trophy: First post-restoration ride and the wheels didn't fall off. We can call that a win. Congrats D  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Cheguava

« Reply #2225 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 09:51:20 AM »
Sounds like a win to me too! +1 vote for video next time! :))

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #2226 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 12:52:27 PM »
   After gaining some courage to go for a ride , thinking I’ll make a video 😂😂😂 that went south fast. I tried to just pump the gas pedal and crank it over and get it to start, but noticed I didn’t hook up the choke cable at carb . Lost the lock screw also… so I sprayed some starting fluid onto carb filter and it started. I couldn’t get it to idle that well and played with moving distributor slightly clockwise and cow. Finally found a good idle then I went for reverse , no joy . Tightened some of the bolts on the gearbox and with engine off  I got  confirmation of shifter going in gear   At least forward and aft.  So I jumped in started her up and backed out of garage  SLOWLY, not actually using the brakes and trying to keep engine running. Then tried to get first , no joy just grinding.
 So I put it in second and down the driveway I went . I few laps around the circle in front of my house I went down the road. Then turned down the next road watching the speedometer which does work, showing 15 mph and getting a slight wave in front end , up and down motion in tune with the tires diameter. Just something to consider when driving faster later . Then I tried to brake without driving shoes, so a bit clumsy but brake was lower than I like but very much hard and useful. After a short 360 I went back towards my home but said I going around the smaller oval block. 😀 made it easily staying in second the entire ride and made it home.
  Wow , I have some work ahead for me but enjoyed every loud minute of it . Maybe some video next time or so.
Dakazman

My first ride around the block in August 2007 on a thursday afternoon after mating the body and frame for 693R the previous saturday:
http://www.lotuseuropa.us/0693r/photos/movies/cominghome.mpg

Good feeling, no?  Congrats!

Bryan Boyle
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2227 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2024, 12:59:08 PM »
Cool video!!! For some reason I had to download it to view it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2228 on: Monday,July 01, 2024, 06:14:10 PM »
  I have a new goal, actually a foul I made a year ago. Track night at Daytona international speedway. Set for August 1 I intend to drive around the speedway, one lap at least for free.
  They have classes available for a fee described here . https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/pages/what-s-track-night-in-america

So I need to say focused! Thanks BDA . I identified a start up problem in the sleeve of the pedal moving and inhibiting a start. I guess the throttle plate was opened to much. I’ll have to add some shrink wrap electrical covers to hold it in the apparatus.
   Found the circuit causing the drain on battery but not the exact location or component.
White wire with fuse in and ignition off, drain. Fuse out , no drain.
 Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #2229 on: Monday,July 01, 2024, 08:17:06 PM »
You need to make sure you’re ready for Daytona, D’man!!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2230 on: Sunday,July 07, 2024, 03:40:21 PM »
  Came across what I thought was going to be L-O-T-U-S .  This was my third time checking the valve adjustments. And found this . 🤔 see pic  After a few sleepless nights I replace the rocker and manually cranked the engine over , and over , and over checking the clearances . Could not identify why it happened in the first place.
   I’m ready to Start it up again and test the gearbox again for all 4 and reverse gears , that I get easily when engine not running. 1st, 3rd and recall grinding when trying to select. Any ideas’ ?
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2231 on: Monday,July 08, 2024, 06:37:55 AM »
Something went solid at some time.  Who knows when.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2232 on: Monday,July 08, 2024, 02:41:28 PM »
  After turning the engine round and round, I can only think it was damaged before my rebuild. I just missed it.  I’ve bent pushrods before on other engines and it seems strange that the pushrod is in perfect shape but cracked the rocker.
 Playing around with my shifter linkage to try to get 1st and third now without grinding and install another old  battery, circa 2020.
Can’t wait to drive it again soon

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2233 on: Thursday,July 11, 2024, 03:17:47 PM »
  I’ve been trying to work of the shifter, I found it correctly labeled chapter F . I won’t get into what the F stands for but replacing any of the relay lever components you are F’d . 
  I found some slop and a self locking nut that is on the center of the linkage, the pivot point.
How are you guys getting to that area? Even an s1 I can’t see getting to anything .
 How can you build a car that can’t be adjusted?
 I’m pissed.  I’ve been in tight spots but this is ridiculous. I may have to pull the interior and the firewall down to make corrections.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #2234 on: Thursday,July 11, 2024, 07:38:55 PM »
I believe I have the same type of linkage you have. Of course, mine is not the same as yours so my situation might be totally different from yours. I can get to it from under the car. I suppose you've already tried that so after that, I got nottin...