Author Topic: Rear windscreen install success!  (Read 2372 times)

Offline jjbunn

Rear windscreen install success!
« on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that this has taken me over a year, off and on, to succeed at!

I ended up using a different seal from the one I got from Dent.

The seal I used is from McMaster Carr, item 3275T22 (10ft length is around $15). Its advantages are that it has a built in locking strip, and that its bodywork groove is narrower, allowing the seal to be secured in the window aperture without falling out, before inserting the glass. Its disadvantage is that it's a bit too thick, which causes slight buckling of the seal on the interior side in each corner. It's not ideal, but is watertight.

Even with this easier seal, it was a real game getting the glass in! I'm just relieved I can move on to other jobs now  :pirate:

Offline BDA

Re: Rear windscreen install success!
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 06:00:01 PM »
Congratulations!! :beerchug:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »
Well done, from all I've read the rear window seems to give everyone problems. It's one of those things that look simple with clear access but it's one of those deceptive jobs where you seem to be banging your head against a wall until it suddenly gives up and slides in. Then you're so relieved you can't remember how you managed it.....

Brian

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 06, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
It looks good with a new seal. I need to replace my rubber when I get to painting but these stories of difficulty keep me thinking I should paint around the old seal.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,June 07, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »
If you can possibly live with the old seal, I counsel strongly against removing it and trying to fit a replacement  :))

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,November 03, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
I managed to fit the rear screen and surround on my own this weekend.

Mark the screen centre on the glass and the fibreglass below, on a white sticky label with a vertical pen mark at the exact centre.

Fit the new screen rubber and cut to length. Use a putty knife to ease the rubber into position.

Fit the screen in the bottom of the rubber then I used a flat bladed screwdriver rotating it carefully to move the rubber outside the glass. Others use string in the channel and pull to open the rubber around the glass.

I had to get a new seal fitting tool as the original must be in a safe place. I put the nearest size end piece into the tool, clamped it with the allen key, and made the diamond shape as narrow as would fit around the sealing strip by compressing it in the tool, in a bench vice, using the sealing strip to check for size as I narrowed the tip opening.

Fit the sealing strip half a circumference away from the join in the screen surround so they are diametrically opposite.

To fit the seal with the tool, paint a 50/50 washing up liquid and water mix on the rubber with a paint brush, insert the diamond tip into the surround rubber, and feed the strip with your left hand, while pushing the tool with your stronger right hand. Start centre bottom, going to the left.

If the rubber does not quite seat properly, push it in with a flat screwdriver tip.

On the tight corners you have to use the tool at an awkward angle. Use it 90' to the rubber and slide the diamond tip side by side walking it around the corner, quarter off an inch at a time. pushing the sealer in with a wide flat screwdriver blade. 

I have 3 more to do, so this is as much for my benefit when I do the next one, as for anyone else.

It looks perfect. Only a couple of dings in the paint with the screwdriver to polish out or touch up.

Now I have to work out whether to do the other three I have already done again, to make them look better.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 03, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
Congratulations on doing what up until now was considered impossible!  :beerchug:

Maybe you can post some pictures to go with your instructions.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,November 03, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
The two difficult things to master are firstly reverse rotating the flat bladed screwdriver to get the glass into the surround. You have to take care not to damage the rubber or break the glass. The rubber kept wanting to move into the cab, so sliding a putty knife between the glass and rubber keeps them together correctly.

Secondly, walking the sealer insert tool around the corners. You need the washing up lubricant, or the diamond head won't walk properly. The angle has to be 90'. You cannot get the tool to work at any other angle on the corners. So walk the diamond, left right left right, then push the sealant strip into the groove with the flat screwdriver tip. Then walk again left right left right, and push again. 1/4" at a time. I did the glass in about 30 mins, and the sealer strip in another 30 mins once I mastered the technique. To take photos, I would need 4 arms or Stephen Spielberg filming.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,November 03, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »
To take photos, I would need 4 arms or Stephen Spielberg filming.

Or you could get somebody to take the pictures while you did all the work! I'll bet that would be worth a beer to somebody!  :D

Offline 4129R

« Reply #9 on: Monday,November 04, 2019, 04:51:06 AM »
When I do the next one, I will take photos while following my own instructions.

It is amazing how techniques can be refined as experience progresses.

If only I knew when I started, what I know now.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Monday,November 04, 2019, 05:20:38 AM »
Once the NEW rubber seal is on the glass, wrap string around the inside of the seal TWICE (the area you will insert into the fiberglass opening). It takes at least two people (one inside the car and one outside to car) to install. Center window and started the pulling of the string slowly around the window seal using plastic tools to help the rubber lip get into place. The areas that didn’t quite get the lip pulled over the fiberglass opening is why you have a second wrap of the string. The second pull of the string will get the last areas in place. Keep everything well lubed (I used spray glass cleaner) and take your time. The locking strip requires a special tool. Do yourself a favor and spend the money to get one.

It is much easier to do this with the seats removed, the engine deck lid removed and no engine. That way you can stand in front of the rear of the window and the person inside can move around easily. I put plywood on the floor area to reinforce while someone was inside the car. The floor is very flimsy and I didn’t want to crack it. The plywood distributes any load from kneeling in small areas, stressing the fiberglass floor.

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #11 on: Monday,November 04, 2019, 11:37:04 AM »
The annoying thing is, when I come to fit mine in about 12 months time I won't be able to find this thread!   >:(
I'll probably be quicker driving over to Norfolk to find 4129R  ;)

Offline gideon

« Reply #12 on: Monday,November 04, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
Broadside - the forum has a search facility which works well.  The forum pages are also indexed by google, which means you can use the site: command to search specifically within these pages.  I typed this search into google:

rear window install site:lotuseuropa.org

and this thread was the first link. 

Offline 4129R

« Reply #13 on: Monday,November 04, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
The annoying thing is, when I come to fit mine in about 12 months time I won't be able to find this thread!   >:(
I'll probably be quicker driving over to Norfolk to find 4129R  ;)

You are most welcome, any weekend.

I will be in the large garage on the left.