Author Topic: Centre lock wheel conversion using hub adapers?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Europaforever

Centre lock wheel conversion using hub adapers?
« on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 01:53:26 AM »
Hi,

I would like to fit wire wheels to my Europa using a hub adapter kit from a Spitfire.
It's not for everyone but think GT40 rather than Midget- I'd like them black but with 3 eared
spinners. The wheels would be 4 1/2 and able to take 155 tyres but that's close to standard size on Europas isn't it? Anyway the question is;

Would the adapters bring out the wheels too far causing them to rub? Moss also sell 'hub adapter 'long' for kit cars etc'
maybe I have to use those? I don't have the body on at the moment so not able to check.

Many thanks rgds, Mark
« Last Edit: Friday,February 05, 2016, 02:14:53 AM by Europaforever »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Centre lock wheel conversion using hub adapers?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 02:20:16 AM »
Hi Mark,

Hmm, I think it will depend on the offset of the wire wheels, plus of course the tyre width. But as they are sold for modern conversions I'd expect Moss to have that covered with a combination of adapter & wheel.

I know the sort of thing you're considering, in fact I had a similar set-up on one of my first cars - a Marcos - which came with 60s wire wheels. Personally I never liked them, the bolt on adapters were just something else to look after and cleaning the wires was a pain.  But I'm admittedly lazy plus I used the car daily, so these days on a hobby car, yeah, I can see the attraction.

Brian

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 03:57:27 AM »
Thanks Brian,

I new you'd be along with a quick answer. We have the same taste in cars, love Marcos and the wires.

I'd be using the wire wheels from Spitfire/GT6s you know like you get at Moss, the full conversion kit.
What's happened is that I've bought a newly rebuilt rolling chassis but to move it 2 of the wheels are damaged
so I need to get a couple prior to collection. Thought I might get them now as I can't find a couple of Spitfire
or original wheels in time...

Rgds Mark

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 06:09:38 AM »
I have seen photos of at least one Europa on wires online (can't find the link right now).  You might want to have a look at them first.  Tastes differ but I had to take to bed for a week to recover.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #4 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 06:36:23 AM »
The Spit adapters are "short" and use a unique wire wheel.  Triumph designed them to fit without a big change in track width.  The "long" adapters are used to fit the run of the mill wire wheel (used on things like MGB, MGA, TR2-6, Aston etc but not Jag).  These adapters will increase the track so will most likely not work on the Europa.  I don't know if things have changed, but back when I was selling British car parts, the Spitfire wheels were only available in 13" which somewhat limits tire choices.  Also, the MG Midget wire wheels will slide onto the Spit adapter, but the knock off wont hold them on.

Rod

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #5 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 07:17:47 AM »
The Spit adapters are "short" and use a unique wire wheel.  Triumph designed them to fit without a big change in track width.

That's the ones I may use with Spitfire fitment wires.

I love seeing wires on Lotus X1s and the original Elite- on the Europa wires would be controversial, but then so are Europas!
I think in black with triple spinners they would be toned down a bit, maybe with the 3 eared spinners stripped of their chrome...

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 09:11:37 AM »
If you are converting to center lock you need a set of these....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »
I must confess that I was also looking at fitting wire wheels at one time, until I saw a photo of one with wire wheels.  Trust me, it doesn't look good.  Think of trying to fit a Ferrari F40 with wires.

The 47 style knock-offs pictured above?  That's another story entirely.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #8 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
I would love to get my hands on a set....

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #9 on: Friday,February 05, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
These guys might have the adapter you need...
http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/billet-117-alloy-wheel/

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,February 06, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
Saw this up for sale a couple of years ago in So Cal.

Online BDA

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,February 06, 2016, 02:14:44 PM »
That doesn't look bad, but it does look a little weird. IMHO, wire wheels belong on cars that at least have an antique pedigree such as an MG or a Triumph. For me, a Europa is too modern for them. I remember back in the day, Ferrari race cars were famous for wire wheels till the middle '60s when the motors got to powerful for them and mags were probably lighter anyway so aluminum or magnesium wheels looked better after that.

Having said that, if you like them, then by golly you should make yourself happy and go for it!  :)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,February 06, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »
I have to agree with BDA that wire wheels look best on cars of a specific period. They just do not look right on a Europa. There is also the weight penalty. I have a front wire wheel from a vintage motorcycle, absolutely astounding just how heavy it is.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #13 on: Monday,October 07, 2019, 11:56:02 PM »
apologies for reviving an older post...

I really like the look of the knock-on steel or alloy wheels with spinners as fitted to the Elans.
The Type 47 is also stunning, could the Europa be converted to a similar set-up? (albeit with narrow wheels/tyres) 

Mark

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,October 08, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »
Hi Mark,
Banks sell (or used to) a conversion kit for adding knock on wheels to the Europa but as there's new hubs, splined adapters, etc, it's expensive as you might expect.

You can also buy bolt on adapters for wire or alloy wheels, I'd look at Cobra replica or kit car suppliers as they're probably the most common application but I'd expect prices similar to Richard. 

The Elan uses a Lotus only hub with peg drive and the steel wheels are expensive compared to bolt on wheels.  You could use the front hubs with the heavier vertical link/stub axle from the GT6 but the rear is a taper fit and would require serious fettling so I'd imagine if you really want K/O wheels then it's Richard.

Brian