Author Topic: Europa Type 65 S2 - Ignition Switch  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Esprit2

Europa Type 65 S2 - Ignition Switch
« on: Friday,December 04, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »
When was the locking steering column introduced?   The one with the ignition key on the column?   I've always thought that all Federal Type 65 Europas have the locking steering column... am I wrong?

My Type 65 used to be someone's failed project.   My PO bought it as a pile-o-parts, and paid a shop to put it all back together.   A lot of the parts were missing.   The shop didn't know there were both Type 54 and 65 S2 Europas, and just ordered "S2" parts.    I've always presumed that's why there's so much 54 content in my 65, including a non-locking steering column, and an ignition switch on the right side of the fascia.

But I've recently come across another Type 65 with a non-locking column and dash-mounted ignition switch.   So, is that 'correct' for early 65s,  or is that someone elses creative project?   When was the locking column/ column-mounted switch introduced?

Thanks & Regards,
Tim Engel

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Europa Type 65 S2 - Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: Friday,December 04, 2015, 11:39:56 PM »
Hi Tim,

As there's quite a few S2 owners on here I'm sure you'll get a more positive answer than my guessing, but here's a thought to be going on with.  The production milestones quoted in the Robinson & Francis book don't refer directly to a change in steering column, but they do list dashboard changes. I'm guessing that if you went from a dash mount ignition to a column mount, then unless they used the hole for something else, you'd also change the dashboard ?

If that holds water, then you can see from the list below that the dash was changed for the 54, but not changed again on the introduction of the type 65 at chassis 1066. The dashboard change came further on in the run, at 1173 for RHD, 1387 for LHD. 

I could just see Colin discussing it - "let's change the Europa and tidy up the dashboard" followed shortly by "but we've all these bits left over, hang on, let's use them up first....."   :)

0645 Introduction of Type 54 Series 2 Europa
New bodyshell
New doors, interior trim panels, frames, quarter lights electric windows and door locks
New dashboard
Modified pedal assembly
Revised chassis
Optional Phillips radio

0920 New radiator thermal switch

1066 Introduction of Federal Type 65 Series 2 Europa
Revised bodyshell
New doors, internal & external locks/handles
Revised chassis
Modified wiring loom for brake failure & hazard warning lights
Modified demisters

1173 Revised dashboard, RHD cars

1330 New tunnel cover

1387 Revised dashboard, LHD cars 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,December 05, 2015, 07:00:33 AM »
Had a look in my old part books.  The locking column has a part number starting with 054 and is available in RH as well as LH locations.  The difference in the federal version is that it includes a key-in buzzer switch.  Unfortunately, change-up points are not listed.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 05, 2015, 08:40:44 AM by jbcollier »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,December 05, 2015, 07:05:46 AM »
A little more digging shows that a dash ignition hole blank was introduced starting with 7001030001R.  Possibly when the locking column was introduced?

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 05, 2015, 07:42:34 AM »
I've always been on the opposite end of the assumption thinking that all S2s had non locking steering columns and that all TCs had steering locks. The three type 65s that I've owned all had the ignition switch on the dash. The earliest VIN is 0926R and the latest is 2501R. Was the locking steering column a federal requirement?

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,December 08, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »
Another data point: 0701R certainly had the locking column when I got it - it's now removed and replaced by a switch on the dash.